Should I replace non-faulty fuel injectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same here, unless I’m doing major work on the engine I’m not going to bother at all. Plus chemical cleaners has come a long ways, chevron and liquidmoly both have great chemical injector cleaner that has proven to work well.

as far as I know calibration means calabrating precise injector flow with the computer. In direct injection engines where the fuel is dumped directly into the combustion chambers so the amount has to be precise to create correct fuel air mixture. It is not possible to change/calibrate the flow amount of injectors, flow is determined at the factory. Even with modern manufacturing processes each injectors will be different, hence calibration is for the computer and NOT the injector.

Yes. And then the injectors are more properly thought of as 'Regulated per Cylinder need'. To my knowledge our ECU's do not (can not) monitor the condition of individual cylinders. Naturally, our injectors have their pulse time controlled to allow for more or less fuel according to fuel demands..but that is it.

IF your injectors are working within design parameters...it is all you need and you are doing well.

I am certainly a proponent of having them checked and cleaned from time to time, just don't let anyone sell you a service (hype) that they 'rebuild' or 'calibrate' them. They can only clean them, check for impedance to determine whether good or not, and replace the external parts (O-rings, filters and pintle cups) which you can do at home.

That said...a GOOD shop/service can clean them enough to restore proper function in most cases. After that...their 'flow testing' only tells them that they have succeeded in cleaning the injector and allows them to observe the spray pattern. How closely matched the flow rates are is strictly a matter of how good the injector was to begin with. If quality control was good...then they should be close (sometimes within 1%).

Honest companies will be forthcoming about all of that. 'WitchHunter' will tell you what they can and can't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom