Should I Re-Build the Engine or Buy a New one????? (1 Viewer)

Rebuild the Engine or Buy a New one

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I live in southern AZ and I have a 1992 FJ80 Land Cruiser with the original Engine in it and it has been having issues for the last few months, So I want everyone to weigh in and let me know if it is worth it to re-build the Engine or Buy a new one and have it put in ? please let me know, I dont have experience with these types of trucks.

My first inclination would be to rebuild. Head can be decked multiple times before out of spec.

What issues lead you to a rebuild vs fixing just what's wrong based on symptoms?

My first inclination would be to rebuild. Head can be decked multiple times before out of spec.

What issues lead you to a rebuild vs fixing just what's wrong based on symptoms?
Honestly, I am reaching out to everyone on here, because the truck has about 350K miles on it and my wife loves the LC and I want it to last for her long term.

3F could easily be a 500k motor if the stars align. I'm with these guys, what's actually wrong with it?

If it is ultimately doomed, I'd rebuild rather than replace. I don't know if any new 3F's are available, but I highly doubt it.

the truck is running, but not drivable. it will not idle below 3500 rpm, it is running very rough, and when I attempt to throttle it up, it will die. i have not taken it to a mechanic yet, because I have to tow it back home. its currently sitting at my in-laws driveway. But I would rather try and find someone here in southern Arizona who I can have take a look at it. So if anyone knows of anyone in the Sierra Vista, AZ area please let me know. I noticed after I bought the LC that there was alot of thick black gunk all over the engine so I reached out to the previous owner and he told me that the owner prior to him blew the head gasket and thats what got all over the engine compartment. Well I attempted to clean the engine as best as possible and when I looked in the manifold it was all gunked up so i cleaned it all out and it hasnt run right since.

So far I have replaced:

1. spark plugs
2. Spark plug wires
3. throttle position sensor
4. EGR Valve
5. Idle air control valve
6. MAF Sensor

Does not sound like a rebuild scenario but the OCD MUD community will have you doing all kinds of crazy things if you stay on here long enough (ask me how I came to pull my engine for a spark plug replacement....not really but close enough). First, take a deep breath and read your last sentence (I cleaned it out and it hasn't run right since). 3F is a very simple engine and very stout. Something isn't in the right place and it is letting you know by misbehaving. I hope someone will point you in the direction of a competent mechanic in your area so the diagnosis can begin. Don't go to a technician, go to a mechanic.

Does not sound like a rebuild scenario but the OCD MUD community will have you doing all kinds of crazy things if you stay on here long enough (ask me how I came to pull my engine for a spark plug replacement....not really but close enough). First, take a deep breath and read your last sentence (I cleaned it out and it hasn't run right since). 3F is a very simple engine and very stout. Something isn't in the right place and it is letting you know by misbehaving. I hope someone will point you in the direction of a competent mechanic in your area so the diagnosis can begin. Don't go to a technician, go to a mechanic.

Thanks i appreciate the advice

Don't go to a technician, go to a mechanic.

Man Alive, you said a mouthful there. Technician= parts swapper until it works. Mechanic= diagnose effectively, fix it right the first time.

Did you set the TPS when you installed it? I would Go through and check all the wiring connections and make sure everything is good and there isnt water in them. I would also pull the distributor cap and see what is going on in there.

Do you have to hold it at 3500 rpm to keep it running or does it go right up to that and never comes back down?

Is there any chance that when you worked on the MAF (It's really a AFM on the 3FE.), that you removed the two screws on the connector?

Did you set the TPS when you installed it? I would Go through and check all the wiring connections and make sure everything is good and there isnt water in them. I would also pull the distributor cap and see what is going on in there.

Do you have to hold it at 3500 rpm to keep it running or does it go right up to that and never comes back down?

I doubled checked the TPS and used the service manual to make sure i installed it correctly. There was no water in it either. The RPM's go right up to that and does not come back down unless i put it in drive or reverse, but then it bogs down when i attempt to throttle up?

Is there any chance that when you worked on the MAF (It's really a AFM on the 3FE.), that you removed the two screws on the connector?

I actually had to purchase a new AFM because I was stupid and removed the 2 screws on the original one. So i learned a costly mistake...lol, that wont happen again. But i did test the new AFM i purchased from summit racing and it is working properly.

Hey everyone, I live in southern AZ and I have a 1992 FJ80 Land Cruiser with the original Engine in it and it has been having issues for the last few months, So I want everyone to weigh in and let me know if it is worth it to re-build the Engine or Buy a new one and have it put in ? please let me know, I dont have experience with these types of trucks.
yes.... by all means buy a new one...... truck ....that is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom