Should I not buy a 100 just cause it's an LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking for a 100 series for a while. Found an LX470 for $15k that has 150k on it. Everything checks out on it - water pump, timing belt, AHC - but I find myself hesitating just because it isn't an actual Cruiser. I know it's the exact same thing but I'm having a hard time with it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a mild preference for the exterior looks of a Land Cruiser, but I like some of the features of the LX.

My kid drives a LC, I drive an LX.

Maybe I’m just an old curmudgeon, or maybe it’s because you can’t throw a stick without hitting a Lexus in my neighborhood, but I don’t really get the “L” phobia or the “we’re just not Lexus people” thing.

The looks that you get driving a LX470 to a muddy duck hunt are pretty amusing though.

A lot of people on this site had the same experience your having right now. If you want it for the name, your gonna have to wait for a nice one to pop up and most likely pay a premium for it. I was in that camp for a while. I ended up with a LX because it was cheaper, 1 owner, dealer maintained and had a grey interior. I do have to explain it's a Lexus Land Cruiser to those who don't know, some even say you mean a GX? haha

A lot of people on this site had the same experience your having right now. If you want it for the name, your gonna have to wait for a nice one to pop up and most likely pay a premium for it. I was in that camp for a while. I ended up with a LX because it was cheaper, 1 owner, dealer maintained and had a grey interior. I do have to explain it's a Lexus Land Cruiser to those who don't know, some even say you mean a GX? haha
Same!! I wanted a 100 series and got one!! I ended up with an LX also and don't regret it at all! Especially now that I have gotten the AHC sorted out, I love my 100

I had to have an LC, even though I know better. I needed something my wife would be comfortable driving and easy to blend in, unlike my much weirder vehicles. We live in a very poor area, and people see Lexus as being a more snooty rich person type car, and they might judge her or us for that. Nobody here knows the Land Cruiser name, and just think its a big old beater Toyota, which half the people here drive anyways.

^ Simple, replace the badging to toyota and voila

Obviously you're not alone. A lot of us went through the same dilemma. I prefer the look of the interior of the LX but I really can't stand the looks of the 2 piece headlights. I searched for both but had a preference for the LC. Rust free, maintenance, condition, and price were all more important. I just happened to find a LC that ticked all the "need" boxes.

I can honestly say at this point it’s a non issue for me.

B76DA7EC-EBE5-4F8A-AB00-951FB90B167D.jpeg

I've got the LX470: A few things to keep in mind.

The interior is different, the stereo is different (and more difficult to swap for 3rd party), grill/hood is different, and headlights are different.

AHC is of course a big change too. I love AHC, and mine is working great, but it can be expensive if it needs parts. It's also a bit more expensive if you decide to swap to conventional suspension, because you will need new torsion bars (optional on the LC100).

Overall, I'd say go with whatever you get the best deal on. Making sure your getting as little rust and as few kms is in my opinion more important that LX/LC.

Had to be a LC for me. Part of the reason why these are so loved is the legacy story behind them. Even though they are essentially the same vehicle, the heritage of Lexus is luxury. Of course all the members here with built LXs could roll over my mostly stock LC.

But why?!

They are quieter (interior) as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom