Should I Hold Out for 06-07? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The "off the shelf tanks" are mostly manufactured in Australia. The VVT-i 2UZ-FE was never sold there. The fuel/evap system is different than our pre-2006. Not even the larger 40 gallon main tank is compatible. Might be possible to adapt but nobody has figured it out yet.

LRA is right down the road from me. I stopped by a few weeks ago and had a chat about it. There are some physical differences in the main tanks which doesn't sound too concerning to me and I'm optimistic that there wouldn't be evaporator issues to contend with just the larger main tank. They said they would sell me a tank but with no guarantee that it would work as designed.

It only takes one person to figure it out.... but the pool of '06-'07 owners that care is small. The '06 is 17 years old. I've had my aux tank for 17 years. :meh:

The "off the shelf tanks" are mostly manufactured in Australia. The VVT-i 2UZ-FE was never sold there. The fuel/evap system is different than our pre-2006. Not even the larger 40 gallon main tank is compatible. Might be possible to adapt but nobody has figured it out yet.

the moment someone does, it's going to open the doors for alot of folks myself included. Didnt know the aux tank wasnt an option but i still would have bought my 2007 anyway. Eventually someone will come up with a reliable solution and then the playing field will even out some more. Until then i'll be content with my 260-280 miles of range lol

Mine is a 2003 and I got it because it got the 5 gear transmission but no VVTI so I don't mess everything up if the timing belt breaks. I think it's a sweet spot between new and old!
Also another cool thing about the blend of old and new on the ‘03 is that you still get the trans dipstick.

Didn't know the new ones didn't have that!
Yeeeeep. Its the only thing keeping me from changing out my transmission fluid. Lots more song and dance you gotta do without the dipstick. :rolleyes:

1686390809187.png

pan and guide tube from amaya I think, and dip stick from USA. Pans are the same volume.
measured volume from internal drain tube height from vvti pan compared to dip stick tube height where actual dip stick reads level in 2003 pan to get a comparable reading/ transfer mark to dip stick for a running correct temp mark.

all that to say you don't really have to measure all that stuff. Just need the pan, gasket, dip stick, and guide tube.
you'd see the 10mm short bolt mount and upper mount bolt on the guide tube when you install.

I don't know that I'd do it again but I had just installed the engine and deleted the heater tees, so I was already there, and the torque converter was only half full.
So I did.
Someone else can make a special thread if they want.
It's not that special. I had already ordered the pan and was a two month wait in late 2020 or early 2021......I think......... the years are going faster these days.

sorry those numbers are blurry

PXL_20220403_113235143.jpg

PXL_20220408_140059925.jpg

PXL_20220408_140459499 (1).jpg

PXL_20220408_140126910.MP (1).jpg

Last edited:
It has been a while since my last update! Friends enjoyed it and it did good work for them. I purchased the full set of body mounts and hardware and had it installed. Not for the faint of heart (15hrs). And I got to inspect the old ones. If you shined a light you would not think to replace them. Nothing broken up/chunked, no myriad of cracks. But they were hard, very hard. On close inspection you can even see a small crack on one in between the bodies of the mount.
Made a difference, no joke. As a group of body isolators even less vibrations are getting into the cabin, very nice. But also a lot of work and money. Not going to say this is a “must do” by any means. The shocks made a bigger difference, and so did the rear bars and front diff mounts. Is it something to think about? Sure. Not in the top 5 though.
Turns out both cv boots are torn. Turns out these are the original cv’s. Turns out 170 cv axles are back ordered in USA. I ordered boots and got on the back order for the CV’s. Going back in Tuesday for this repair. Then driving it for a while while my other car is in the shop. Looking forward to it.

Did the new mounts make a noticeable difference? Can you find the post?
I finally found that thread...

Right on, and jealous of the trans dipstick. Wish my 04 had one.
Also on the earlier post I am looking to get the 40gal main tank. Still deciding on the aux. for what it’s worth.

Right on, and jealous of the trans dipstick. Wish my 04 had one.
Also on the earlier post I am looking to get the 40gal main tank. Still deciding on the aux. for what it’s worth.

Hopefully someone figures out a solution for us 06-07 folks. I wouldnt mind an aux tak half the size of the main

Chevy S-10 auxiliary fuel tank mod:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom