Should I have the fly by night dealer repair 2011 LX 570 strut with a leak or should I just get them to discount it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to purchase my second lexus and first 200 series land cruiser platform. It's a 2011 LX 570. One of the front struts was found to be leaking via the pre-purchase inspection, but my cousin (who owns an indy shop and is no lexus expert) said the leak really didn't look that bad from the picture he saw.

Rather than discounting the cost of the vehicle, the non-lexus, indy dealer has said they would replace both front struts (and blinking TPMS sensor), keeping it at list price, but only *after* I sign the paperwork.

I was wondering... after reading about AHC and repairs (mostly here...), is this a good idea?

Would it be best to just insist on discounting about half the cost of one strut replacement ($500 according to the finance guy) and then just find a good lexus dealer to get it repaired at?

Naturally, the sales guy insists his mechanic is really good. Service history is solid through 120k service, which looks like the AHC fluid was changed, but I'm a little skeptical because this forum in particular has posts indicating if it has anything remotely to do with AHC even some dealers won't even touch it. I'm also nervous about the water pump since it's almost @ 155k miles.

Thanks for any opinions :)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t let an unknown shop touch an AHC system. Unwittingly pulling air into the pump can turn into a real problem. Plus, unless it is more than a weep it probably isn’t a problem in the first place.. though that doesn’t mean you can’t bargain as a result.

TPMS should be replaced with OEM or OE equivalent transmitters. The junk clones that most tire shops use will fail much more quickly.. and most likely this requirement will rule out most tire shops, and the dealer’s willingness to work with you.

I think you are on the right track with finding middle ground and insisting on discounting. Responding with either doing the work yourself or knowing someone well that you trust is a reasonable response, if you explain that you intend to keep this vehicle forever. They might not hear that often, but it is plausible.

a leaking shock is not a huge deal or an emergency. I personally would take the discount and shop around. I had mine replaced (all 4) plus fluid change for $800 in labor at my local Japanese Indy garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom