Should I go back to stock steering damper position? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
My 1978 FJ55 has an Alcan spring lift. I don’t know what the height of the lift is (the truck came with it) and forgot to take height measurements prior to starting the front axle rebuild and total steering component redo.

I’m replacing EVERY steering component or rebuilding. The current set up has the damper attached to the tie rod with a U bolt on one side and attached to the driver side of the front axle housing with a U bolt on the other side. See pictures. This is a new set up to me and I don’t understand why you would go away from original position anchored on the passenger side of the frame on one side and the center arm on the other.

Can anyone shed some light on my current set up and advise wether or not going back to stock would be problematic?
02390003-2DB2-4A15-90A0-08E7E5A237D3.jpeg
2EB13875-4660-4CD3-B3C7-A4E719526FC5.jpeg

I was just talking with @royal cake about stabilizers a couple of days ago. While I am not a fan of the ‘generic’ aftermarket stabilizers, I think that the stock stabilizers, putting leverage on the center arm in order to do its job, is an even poorer choice.

In my opinion, the road shock that needs to be ‘stabilized’ should be done as close to its origin as possible, which is at the main steering rod. Having a stabilizer at a secondary point is…well…secondary. Further, it adds resistance to the workload of the center arm, ensuring increased need for readjustment.

In an ideal world, the truck should not need a stabilizer at all, and I always advise customers to try running without one first.

Back in the day, that was the cool thing to do.
I had that same exact set up.
Lately, i do without the steering stabilizer at all.

@65swb45 and @Pighead thank you for the replies. Looks like I will try running the 55 without a steering stabilizer to start and go from their. Thank you for the replies!

One theory I’ve read is that by having it there it reduces shimmy and shakes that would otherwise be transferred to the centre arm and the steering box. Given how long a properly maintained centre arm lasts it would be difficult to determine if the lack of a stabilizer shortened its life or not.

I’m just about to remove the exact same setup I put on 25 years ago. It now has the potential to interfere with the pitman arm nut on my Scout II P/S box because it sits a couple inches above the tie rod.

Rather that mount that setup lower I’m going back to an OEM mounting position using a Monroe ‘60 series’ damper.
4B44A6AB-1F6B-433B-9124-98D63C456ADC.jpeg
E518CE1E-D84B-47DF-9601-E591A85A5F79.jpeg
9B3BE1FE-A2A2-45CD-A4C5-E7D92FD2401F.jpeg
5345EFDE-8A6C-4527-A43E-D472DBE0C39B.jpeg

It’s debatable if a stabilizer is needed… in the end, I decided if both International & Toyota used one, and it would in theory help to protect the 43+ year old steering box, that I’d spend the $50 to run one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom