Should I get the rear tire mount? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

My build is progressing nicely. Time for the rear bumper. I love the look of the rear tire mount and gas can. I have a potential hook up to get the arb 5613210 for 50% off.

My question is: how much of a hassle is the rear tire mount on a daily driver? I access the back nearly every day.

I’m not a hairy off-roader (but look for me this weekend at SoCal Overland in Anza-Borrego Borrego), as in I love it but am not going to get so stuck and flat that accessing the spare tire is necessary. So outside of the off road reasons for the rear mount, how is living with it on a daily basis?

ABDEE622-7A34-4A56-8FAB-2A55FE9D8641.jpeg

I don’t have a rear mount but do use my lx daily for family duties and access the rear often with kids. My wife would be pissed off with the additional hassle so currently I have just a rear bumper. I intend to add rear mount when I stop using this as a daily. I have read other threads of people removing for daily use.

The ARB has a very simple 1 handed open and close system utilizing a latch and strut. It could be one of the easiest to use ....

All that being said it will still very likely be one of the most annoying things to do on a daily basis.

Well, the good news is it’s not the family car mainly just mine. So I can use the back seat more for gear and groceries if it’s annoying. Glad to hear it’s a simple system.

I do think it gets annoying as a daily. Basically the back seat becomes your new trunk for groceries, etc. I took mine off completely when it was more of a daily driver, but now that it gets less daily use, I put the tire carrier back (you know, in case the zombies come...)

You don't need it... have your friend sell it to me. 😆

I very strongly wish I could put a rear mount on (had to grind off my OEM spare) but my wife would murder me, as the dog crates we haul around point out the back hatch. Other than throwing the tire in the cargo area (I removed my rear seats) I don't really know what to do. The OEM roof rack seems to be weak, as last time I ratcheted the spare to it I heard a cracking sound...

I had the Kaymar rear bumper on my previous 80 series, the tire (and jerry can) swingout(s) got very old on a daily driver where you're constantly going in and out of the rear hatch.

I understand that the "latching" and "hold open" mechanisms have improved on more recent bumpers, but I've been reluctant to install a rear bumper, with swingouts, on either of our 100 series, after my previous experience.

Up on the back bumper for clearance and ease of access to changing a tire and a place to carry your trash, thats about it. Makes access through rear hatch a process every time you need in. Also limits visibility of rear camera and window. Better with out it If you can live with out it.

I just throw my swingouts on whenever I'm going really off road. It's just a cap, cotter pin and a nut to install and uninstall them, no big deal. Oh, plus moving the number plate and plugging in the light wire. Definitely easier than fighting with them on a daily basis. After your trip just yank them off and put a bag over the bearings to keep them clean and ready for next time.

...deleted

Last edited:

Put mine on mainly for the ability to carry spare fuel/water and for recovery/lift points. We take long trips almost always solo and especially out west the extra fuel and water can come in handy. It's an extra step to get in the back but I can't say it's that big an issue . Besides, having the spare on the bumper saved our trip once when I had 3 broken studs and was able to scavenge them off the carrier.

View attachment 1912034
Put mine on mainly for the ability to carry spare fuel/water and for recovery/lift points. We take long trips almost always solo and especially out west the extra fuel and water can come in handy. It's an extra step to get in the back but I can't say it's that big an issue . Besides, having the spare on the bumper saved our trip once when I had 3 broken studs and was able to scavenge them off the carrier.

That's a sick looking truck! Where are you in Wisconsin? I am in Madison and am always curious about meeting other cruiser owners in the area.

Just to echo others, I really didn’t think it would bother me, but it’s is a massive nuisance. That being said I wouldn’t even consider going back to not having it 😬 good news is I don’t have kids yet and really don’t do much hauling of anything these days so it’s rare that I can’t just throw stuff in the back seat or fold and roll the back seat forward to access the back.

03E57545-9500-4864-A333-8E6E8E3EDB1F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom