Should I get an 80 series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small world....

If the owner goes by name Jad/Darrel, look for KRT Off Road in Angeles City, they know the history of that truck. It's legit and no issues.

IF you want another one and have an ARB dual swingout, go to this place I've mentioned. Less than what you are asked for P850k (roughly $16k I suppose) , great condition as well, more goodies half rack, ARB step sliders, dual AC (rear AC) it is owned by the shop owner...

Last edited:
Well documented.....hmmm.. I, of course know it's a 1HD-T issue but, NOTHING is well documented with regards to the BEB issue. I mean NOT REALLY....

Have a look at this, there is enough mention of 96/97 (24 valve) engines having BEB's AND crankshafts replaced by Toyota to convince you that is it not isolated to the 12 valve engine.

http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/80bigend.htm

regards

Dave

So I went to see the truck today and learned a few things:

1. It's a 1996 facelifted model with the new dash, etc. but the engine is still the 1HD-T (not the 1HD-FT). Apparently Toyota did not bother updating the engine in the Philippines when the facelift came out (can anyone confirm?).

Since its a 1HD-T I guess that means I need to get the BEBs done sooner or later. Would this be a labor intensive job? I am not mechanically inclined enough to do this myself so I'll probably get one of the local off road shops to help me.

2. It has part time 4WD with manual locking hubs. I thought all 80's came with full time 4WD? This one has an H4 button on the dash to engage 4WD. Does this mean this variant has no center diff?

3. It has rear air conditioning. Was this ever an option?

Apart from this, everything seems to check out. There doesn't appear to be any rust, and the engine pulls strong. It looks like I'll be selling my
Toyota 86 soon. :D

@pilotuku Owners name isn't Jad/Darrel but the guy said it's indeed been maintained by KRT Off Road.

Here are more pics I took from today.
IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

So, how much? Boy it would be great for idling. Being a diesel, and all.

I suggest u move to Vancouver, Canada, Bring your truck, your life and make a living importing these here & there: you'd have a competitive edge over the Japanese imports, which are all RHD.

I think what's common place in the Philippines are 120k mile, mint LHD diesels for $10,500 / would fetch more in North Americ.eh.

Ambulance doors.:cookie: That's a bonus in the eyes of many, but another feature all but unseen here. I like many of your other features, powerful engines, good ol' manual transfer case, etc and so fporth

Heck yes. You'll regret it for theb rest of your life if you left this chance behind. And you said yourself they're holding their value, BEB or no.

Pare nice looking ride. I just notice missing the swing out for the spare tire. Where is the spare? Love the umbulance doors and the third seats. Have fun with her.

So, how much? Boy it would be great for idling. Being a diesel, and all.

I suggest u move to Vancouver, Canada, Bring your truck, your life and make a living importing these here & there: you'd have a competitive edge over the Japanese imports, which are all RHD.

I think what's common place in the Philippines are 120k mile, mint LHD diesels for $10,500 / would fetch more in North Americ.eh.

Got it for a bit over US$20K. Pretty pricey for a truck that age, but it seems like all of them are going for around that much these days. Those $10,500 ones you mentioned are usually JDM models with cut and weld LHD conversions which usually come with all sorts of issues.

Pare nice looking ride. I just notice missing the swing out for the spare tire. Where is the spare? Love the umbulance doors and the third seats. Have fun with her.

Thanks! Previous owner transferred the spare to the bottom of the truck since he said the swing out spare carrier was rattling. He still has it though and I plan to reinstall it and find a way to fix the rattle myself.

One more thing, since the truck is part time 4wd does it mean that the front axle components (birfs, etc) have been spared from any major wear given the truck has spent most of its life in 2wd?

Seeing those barn doors made me nostalgic for that LHD 1992 HJZ80 I owned and sadly sold about 4 years ago, thinking a Dodge Cummins and slide-in camper would better meet my needs for long-distance travel-camping that never materialized. That truck had the most sweet inline 6 cyl diesel engine (1HZ 4.2L), non turbo, 5 speed transmission, cloth seats, rubber floor mats. Now I'm on the hunt for an 80 series again and know I'll never find one like it again in these parts (it had been brought in from Europe by a returning serviceman). Damn...

Yessir, they are.
I have 250 k on my LX and am considering getting an engine to be prepared. What is your opinion of how long factory short block and heads will be available
Also is it possible to get a complete engine?
Thank you
Richard

They will be available as long as Toyota wants them to be available. I would surmise we have a bit while longer to be able to get them.

It is not possible to get a complete engine. You would need to buy every single assembly.

They will be available as long as Toyota wants them to be available. I would surmise we have a bit while longer to be able to get them.

It is not possible to get a complete engine. You would need to buy every single assembly.

Thank you your insight is most valuable.

I'm happy to say I'm a new proud owner of an HDJ80 :clap:

Some stuff that needs to be looked at:
1. Power steering doesn't seem to work when the engine is idling - spotted a leaky hose. Will try to replace it over the weekend and hope it fixes that.

2. Wipers motors seem to be tired and can barely move the wipers along. Any ideas on how to fix this without buying a new wiper motor?

3. Found a patch of rust near the firewall / front mud guard mounts. Need to find a body shop who can fix this.

Thanks for your help guys and I look forward to many years of LC ownership :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom