Should I get All Terrain Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no complaints about the BFG KO2s in E rating, but my truck is heavier than stock. If you're going to get new tires, I'd go bigger than the 65 aspect, and get the 275/70/18s

Woohoo! I found a local shop that is willing to sell me the Conti TC A/T (SL, OWL) or BFG (TA KO2s LT/E (10ply)) in 275/65r18.

$1000 out the door for Contis.
$1160 our the door for BFGs.

Price includes balance, and I’d keep my old tires.

He won’t do 70, though.

Argh! Conti or BFGs auugh!

Last edited:
CONTI.

If I were you I'd go with the SL conti's. And remember I'm a BFG fanboy...

BFG's look like you are ready to go on safari. If it was my coin, I would go w BFG for aggressive looks or Michelin defenders for long lasting service.

If you're worried about saving money go to Pep boys for the Cooper Adventurer A/T. I got my entire set of 5 mounted and balanced for $800ish.

I think the BFGs are by far the best A/T tire, based on all the reviews I have read, the YouTube videos I have watched, and the number of people who run with those tires on this forum.

However, I need to be realistic on my planed usage for this truck. With that in mind, I think the BFGs are overkill for my specific application.

I am going to buy the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts in 275/65r18. @Couvi and I can start a club.

Update: The Contis are ordered, and will be installed Friday morning on my Toyota rims.

Feels good...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Last edited:
Sorry I missed these responses!

The 70 series will give you a little better ride because you have a slightly taller sidewall. Not much, but it is taller. I did not get the year vehicle you have. 4 spd or 5 spd trans ? That will also factor in tire size.

It’s a five speed, 2003.

What part of the USA are you in ?

I’m in the Northeast.

Last edited:
I think the BFGs are by far the best A/T tire, based on all the reviews I have read, the YouTube videos I have watched, and the number of people who run with those tires on this forum.

However, I need to be realistic on my planed usage for this truck. With that in mind, I think the BFGs are overkill for my specific application.

I am going to buy the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts in 275/65r18. @Couvi and I can start a club.

Update: The Contis are ordered, and will be installed Friday morning on my Toyota rims.

Feels good...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Congrats. I think you'll be pleased with them. When I picked my LC up after having them installed I couldn't believe how much larger they looked compared to my stock size Bridgestone Alenzas – smooth and quiet on the road as well. I think I mentioned this in my post after installation, but I had a chance to drive them in snow and ice this past winter (Memphis doesn't usually get much in that regard) BUT, we had an ice storm and back to back snow in early January. We live on a hill and I ended up puling several people out of the nearby ditches who had slid off the road – I had no slippage or skidding and made it up several fairly significant hills with ease. I know a lot of this is due to the weight of the cruiser and the CDL, but it gave me piece of mind nonetheless. Welcome to club Continental.

Sam's club should be right around $1,000 for the BFG's installed with lifetime balance and rotations. $229 per tire, $15 per tire for installation, then I believe BFG has an $80 instant rebate right now.

Sam's club should be right around $1,000 for the BFG's installed with lifetime balance and rotations. $229 per tire, $15 per tire for installation, then I believe BFG has an $80 instant rebate right now.

Good to know! But... would they actually install them for me? Probably not, based on my experience so far. :)

I'm really surprised you are having trouble finding a shop that does oversize tires. I exclusively go to discount tire and they've never batted an eye.

I'm really surprised you are having trouble finding a shop that does oversize tires. I exclusively go to discount tire and they've never batted an eye.

Tell me about it! It’s really frustrating to deal with. Maybe it’s just the area I’m in.

Good to know! But... would they actually install them for me? Probably not, based on my experience so far. :)

I’ve always had good luck with Sam’s install an oversized tires for me as long as they are within a reasonable limit. They are putting some on for me this weekend. I got the Goodyear trail runner though.

The new shoes! They are installed now. Ride great.

Took them on the highway and hit 80mph to check noise and balance. No discernible change in noise compared to the Michelin Latitude Touring HP that were previously installed.

E9666887-D12A-47D8-B3F5-61E4BA885E10.jpeg

Pics once I clean off the blue protective crap.

These come with 3 years of roadside assistance (provided by Continental), and Continental also gives you 60 days to figure out if you like them.

Last edited:
Wise choice in both size and tire. I think you will be well pleased with them considering the needs/use you outlined in your original post.

You can expect the center tread to pick up some amount of small (pea gravel)....the REVO's I have my 80 series do that too, but it won't be bad and I'd wager the KO's you were considering would have been even worse. But aside from that I'd say that tire should be an excellent blend of the things you wanted. Good safe tire too.

I looked very hard at the same tire for my LX when I was tire shopping and it was pretty much a toss up between it and the Yokohama I went with. But I'm sure I would have been happy with either.

Keep us updated as you get some miles on them. Its always helpful to get feedback on tire purchases. Most folks are happy with their tire selection when they first get them (Bias Confirmation?) but we rarely hear back from them later to see what their experience has been at different stages.

Good job Sir. Hope you and your family enjoy them.

Thank again, to everyone who helped out and participated in this thread. I think it has a ton of very useful information, and I hope it can help someone else in the future who might be faced with figuring out what tires to get.

So, here are a few pics of the new shoes (truck is dirty... needs a wash!):
60B6A680-A1E7-45C0-98E6-D5F57CD1A334.jpeg

AA8F9F94-8D3A-41C3-8EB5-8A8EC95E8081.jpeg

(Yep, I need to refinish my wheels. I’m thinking bronze.)

Last edited:
The new shoes! They are installed now. Ride great.

Took them on the highway and hit 80mph to check noise and balance. No discernible change in noise compared to the Michelin Latitude Touring HP that were previously installed.

View attachment 1703400

Pics once I clean off the blue protective crap.

These come with 3 years of roadside assistance (provided by Continental), and Continental also gives you 60 days to figure out if you like them.
Awesome! Did you go white letters out? Need some shots of them on the LC. Snap, snap.

Awesome! Did you go white letters out? Need some shots of them on the LC. Snap, snap.
I was typing as you were posting apparently. Looking good. The white letters look nice on this tire. BTW, I looked for 2 years for a green LC with tan in decent shape (03-05 years) never saw one. I'm jealous.

I was typing as you were posting apparently. Looking good. The white letters look nice on this tire. BTW, I looked for 2 years for a green LC with tan in decent shape (03-05 years) never saw one. I'm jealous.

Hah! Here’s something really strange: this morning, I was leaving the coffee shop, and what do I see? Another green Land Cruiser parked in the same lot. It was definitely from 2000 - 2007. What are the odds? Green was the color I wanted, so based on what I’ve read on here I got pretty lucky finding one.

Yes, I absolutely wanted the white lettering facing out. Reminds me of the Tonka toy truck I had as a kid.

I’m planning to fill in the letter outlines (in white) with either an uni-posca marker, or an oil based white paint marker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom