Should I delete my sunroof or try to fix it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and read about a dozen sunroof threads, and couldn't find this exact question. My sunroof seized about 2/3 of the way open the other day (of course it started pouring rain immediately). Using threads here, I dropped the headliner and got the sunroof assembly removed. The cables were shot, rusted and bound up, and I think the motor might have burned out too. Called my local Toyota dealer and they quoted me $2K for the motor only. Said the parts on old cruisers (mine's a 98) are getting scarce & expensive.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Paying $2k for the parts isn't an option. Can't put the cables back in because the sunroof was seized open. Seems like there's no way to get the sunroof to seal properly by hand (unless there's something I'm missing). I don't care about keeping the sunroof at this point, so I called the only two body shops in my town to ask if they'd weld metal over the hole and both said they wouldn't touch it. Left messages with a couple fabricators nearby but no word yet.

Anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone successfully deleted their sunroof in a 100? Found a couple of threads of 80 owners trying it, but no 100s. TIA for any thoughts/advice.

Mine doesn’t work and I’m damn close to just running a bead of silicone around it and call it a day. The fairing on my roof rack creates enough lift or suction to raise the sunroof at Highway speeds.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably try siliconing it (would silicone be the best thing to use?). The problem is that once you take the cables out, the glass doesn't sit flush with the roof anymore, so I'll have to figure out some way to either raise it securely and/or plug the gap before sealing. I couldn't get it to shut with the cables attached because they were seized up so bad. Otherwise I would've just closed it and called it a day.

Thanks for the link to the parts, too—too bad the motor's not available, it's listed for $1700 less than the dealer quoted me.

Fix it. The OCD of knowing something is broken or not working in my rig would absolutely eat me up.

I've searched and read about a dozen sunroof threads, and couldn't find this exact question. My sunroof seized about 2/3 of the way open the other day (of course it started pouring rain immediately). Using threads here, I dropped the headliner and got the sunroof assembly removed. The cables were shot, rusted and bound up, and I think the motor might have burned out too. Called my local Toyota dealer and they quoted me $2K for the motor only. Said the parts on old cruisers (mine's a 98) are getting scarce & expensive.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Paying $2k for the parts isn't an option. Can't put the cables back in because the sunroof was seized open. Seems like there's no way to get the sunroof to seal properly by hand (unless there's something I'm missing). I don't care about keeping the sunroof at this point, so I called the only two body shops in my town to ask if they'd weld metal over the hole and both said they wouldn't touch it. Left messages with a couple fabricators nearby but no word yet.

Anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone successfully deleted their sunroof in a 100? Found a couple of threads of 80 owners trying it, but no 100s. TIA for any thoughts/advice.
Lesson: Don't buy from the dealer parts counter -

Looks like they go used for about $175-$200 on FleaBay.

Also - you can run the motor with the cables disconnected to test it.

Same problem, and the guy who works on my truck doesn't want to fix it because he's worried about all the little plastic clips breaking while he takes apart half the interior of the truck.
I really don't want to permanently seal it, but at least I got mine closed for the time being.

I saw a guy on Facebook had a metal plate welded in, body filled, then primed & painted. I'll try to find it

Same problem, and the guy who works on my truck doesn't want to fix it because he's worried about all the little plastic clips breaking while he takes apart half the interior of the truck.
I really don't want to permanently seal it, but at least I got mine closed for the time being.
Same here—I called my usual mechanic who specializes in Toyotas, and he wouldn't take the job even if I found the parts. Taking the interior apart to drop the headliner wasn't as bad as I expected, but I did break three or four of those clips. Luckily I'd ordered a bunch of spares beforehand.

None of the body shops or welders in my area will touch it, so it looks like I'm going to have to try siliconing it. We'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom