Should I consider LX450? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I'm a long-time Toyota guy - Corollas, Camrys, Cressida, and owned 3 diesel Land-Cruiser wagons, last one a few years ago, a nice 80 series with diesel engine and 5 speed (originally from Europe) which I sold to buy a Dodge Cummins and camper to take road trips that never materialized. Made sense at the time, but I just told the Dodge and camper and am thinking about my next vehicle. Am recently retired, not into heavy off-roading of any type, no longer dreaming of major overland expeditions but who knows when the bug may bite again, but want a strong versatile vehicle for city and cottage use, so thinking of newer Land-Cruisers or even 4Runners.

An LX450 has come up locally - 190,000 miles (US vehicle), moon roof, factory lockers, worn out front seats, some surface rust underneath (Indiana truck), good paint, no evidence of accident damage, unknown mechanical condition, likely some neglected maintenance (clued out female second owner). Around $4000 US. The gas engine doesn't get great mileage, but I don't drive much anymore (an hour and a bit to and from the cottage). I can probably address some of the neglected maintenance (front axle swivels, all fluids, AC recharging, some electrical glitches draining the battery, etc.). On the other hand, I can buy a much newer second hand 4Runner and have problem-free driving.

Should I give up on the LX (or Land-Cruisers) altogether, and go with the more sensible 4Runner option?

WHat about this local LX450, is it worth considering? Don't want to saddle myself with a money pit, and need a vehicle I can drive year-round with no worries.

p.s. if someone could please check the VIN for me in the US database I'd appreciate if you would PM me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Price seems reasonable but you have to decide what you want. a comfortable, trouble free 4Runner that gets better gas mileage or a Toyota icon that will save you some money upfront but will then need a little TLC.

Yeah, I think you described the decision point quite well. As much as I have attachment to the Land-Cruiser genre, I'm also at an age where comfort is more important than toughness (I suppose a 6-7 year old 4Runner might be more comfortable than a 20 year old LX450), and wrenching is not as attractive as it once was. Fuel mileage is not a huge issue, right now I'm averaging maybe 3-4,000 miles a year. I'm looking for an eventual replacement for a daily-driver 89 Cressida that may not die, with more cargo space for dog and cottage etc. Can't stand the thought of driving something like a Rav4 or CRV, so if I stick with Toyota marque, it's pretty well 4Runner vs Land Cruiser. ANyway, the LX450 is possibly sold by now, so it's probably a moot point. 4Runners are plentiful so there will always be nice ones close by.

I'm a Land Cruiser guy so I would buy an 80 (or LX450) over a 4Runner. Now, having said that, the 4Runner is probably plenty capable for what you are going to do. The 4Runner is a great vehicle. I owned a 2000 Gen III 4Runner and it was a great vehicle. A little bit smaller than an 80. Gen IV (2002-2009) and Gen V (2009-present) are bigger and more comparable in size to the 80 series Land Cruiser.

The 4Runner will ride better on road because of the IFS as compared to the solid front axle of the 80.

And there are a ton of 4Runners so you have a lot more to choose from.

Having said all of that, but a damn 80! They are freaking cool man!! :)

Thanks for the perspective on 4Runner vs. 80LC. As you say, lots more specimens to choose from, especially in these parts! Maybe I've owned enough LC's in the past, and time to give a 4Runner a try.

Personally, I like my 80 but she's been with me for 23 years. I'll never get rid of her. I haven't owned a Gen IV or V 4Runner but have heard they are very capable rigs. They don't have solid front axles but frankly, for what you are using it for it probably isn't necessary or even desirable. I've thought about getting a Gen IV or V 4Runner at some point but just can't bring myself to spend the money on one when my 80 runs like a top and doesn't cost me anything (but gas...lots of gas.) :)

For 95% of people out there they wouldn't need what an 80 is compared to a 4Runner. Enjoy the comfort of a newer 4Runner. Save the LCs for us crazies. :)

I own both. I love both for different reasons. My 3rd gen 4r just feels delicate compared to my 80. But then again I built my 80 to wheel and bought the 4r for kid hauling and running around for work. I do wheel with some very capable 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen 4runners. But they all have way more into them than a stock 80 costs to get the performance wheeler (IMHO).

Get a LX450/ 80 over a 4runner , I used to own both but sold the runner but keep the LX450/80 due to a comfort reason and keep it stock ,and its my daily driver ever since probably my last car will ever own .

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I also read a thread elsewhere on ih8mud about 4Runner vs more sedate vehicle choices like Sequoia, Subaru Outback, etc. I will take a hard look at my needs and choose as wisely as I can. About "the last car I'll ever own", I don't know how old you are Sebastian, but I've certainly owned my share of vehicles I thought I would own forever, and sure enough each one of them went out the door at some point or another, replaced by something else. "grass is greener" syndrome, or maybe I just get tired of a vehicle after X years, or tired of fixing it up, who knows. But yeah, I wish I could one day find The One, and be content with it for the rest of my driving days (which, approaching 60, is feasible, i.e. if I splurged on a brand new LandCruiser! :)

Well, the LX450 sold to someone from out of town. I was busy selling my own truck (Dodge) and missed out on the deal, but appreciate everyone for chiming in. I've also read a bunch of other posts on here so refreshed myself on issues of concern in 80 series LC's and LX's, so will be better prepared next time one comes around.
Thanks again.

Quick addendum: the seller told me the buyer is a dealer who will export the truck to Africa! I wonder how many of these cheaper LC/LX's wind up being shipped overseas for profit? I can imagine a truck like that will likely live a long life in Africa, getting all kinds of creative and imaginative fixes and mechanical upgrades. And at least, over there a truck like this will more likely be used for what it was actually designed for, as opposed to driving the streets and mall parking lots, which is probably where most Lexus LX's are seen 99.9% of the time...
Still, sad to see such a vehicle leave N-A forever...

I know a man in his late 70s and he is still driving and love his 80s Land Cruiser till today , as a Land Cruiser guy myself not to mention The Land rover Defender I have both that will never be for sale .

One of the guys here stated a typical LC in the Sudan are selling for $23,000 USD right now as USED trucks. It's tough to import them, but that is "cheap" for them right now. Maybe I'm in the wrong market...... I don't know what it takes to ship one over, and how many palms need greasing, but it could be profitable.

Just my view from where I was when I bought my 80 some 13-14 yrs back.

I really **wanted** a FZJ80 back then, but prices were mainly out of my comfort range (still were $25k for a average one then) - and all the 4runners were well in my budget, but the caveat was they felt far more "used up" than all LC/LX's I saw...the 5 yo interiors already were getting shabby, the doors were tinny, the motor gasket were already bleeding oil.

I hesitated long enough I finally found my 80 (was a shocker @ $17k asking back then, that was a smokin' deal!). -- but the more telling thing is both a friend & a family member bought 4Runners in that same era. My bro-inlaw still has his but my friend's was trashed to the point his wife refused to ride in it, it had water leak(s), bad paint, etc.

On the whole, it seems all points of a L/C seem to be built better - It seems if you are going for a "buy it once, buy to last" - while gas/parts cost more, the overall operation cost works out as you do less often (parts, not gas), and the build quality is there that while the leather is due for a 20 yr change, the dashes aren't cracked, the carpet isn't shot - etc.

I probably am wrong - but to me if I was in a collision tomorrow, I both wish I was in a 80 for the wreck and would buy one again after losing it over being in a 4Runner for the wreck & replace.

Not always talked about, but I stand strong on being in an 80 with a airbag compared to most like-priced 4Runners.

You can probably find a 'safer' 4Runner, but probably not in the price range, esp if you are shopping $4500 range 80's.

Thanks for your perspective Linus. Part of me would like to hold out for a worthwhile 80 series (and my budget is twice that amount of 4500, though I would always need to have money aside for dealing with neglected issues, baselining, addressing some cosmetics, etc.).
I haven't gone around to look at any 4Runners yet (gen 4 or 5). The last 4runner I was in way back when (gen 2??) felt quite cramped, compared to the 60 and 80 series TLC's I had owned.
Patience is a virtue, as they say... One will come around eventually, in the condition and at the price I will be comfortable with. In the meantime I've got two pretty good cars to drive this summer (Toyota Cressida and MB diesel wagon from early 80's).

At this age and mileage, just be really picky about maintenance records. It sounds like you've been researching for awhile, so you're probably educated on what to look out for on these trucks (if not, see the FAQ). These trucks do last 2 to 3 times longer than the average vehicle, but nothing lasts forever. Parts are expensive enough that a beater is not worth getting in to.

I own both, a 2005 4runner and a 1991 FJ80. I love both of them and the 4Runner has been rock solid for
the past 8 years. I do get drivers fatigue faster in the 80. I would get the 4Runner first then get the cruiser.

A ton of used vehicles end up in Africa. There is a guy on Oahu who specializes in exporting old 4x4's to that continent.

As far as opinions go, I am in the same boat as you. Had a mid 80's toyota truck and an 87 SR5 4runner and loved them. Just got out of an Audi allroad because it was A) Holy crap expensive to maintain , and B) not what I needed to get along the trails off the 395. I think the 80 series looks perfect.

At this age and mileage, just be really picky about maintenance records. It sounds like you've been researching for awhile, so you're probably educated on what to look out for on these trucks (if not, see the FAQ). These trucks do last 2 to 3 times longer than the average vehicle, but nothing lasts forever. Parts are expensive enough that a beater is not worth getting in to.

Indeed! My 83 Benz diesel wagon came with all its service records since 84 and the PO had done a pile of work on it during the last couple of years, so I know it's solid mechanically. My 89 Cressida came with zero service records but has proven very trustworthy, it had a very conscientious original owner evidently. But I'd sooner have records than not, even though records don't necessarily guarantee no problems...

I own both, a 2005 4runner and a 1991 FJ80. I love both of them and the 4Runner has been rock solid for
the past 8 years. I do get drivers fatigue faster in the 80. I would get the 4Runner first then get the cruiser.

I sold my diesel 5 speed 80 because of driving fatigue, in city and on highway. Yeah, probably a great vehicle on a trail, but I don't do trails. Just sometimes drive on gravel or more marginal roads, but there's always a road. Sounds like a 4Runner may be a better choice for my late 50's body and comfort needs...

As far as opinions go, I am in the same boat as you. Had a mid 80's toyota truck and an 87 SR5 4runner and loved them. Just got out of an Audi allroad because it was A) Holy crap expensive to maintain , and B) not what I needed to get along the trails off the 395. I think the 80 series looks perfect.

Thanks for that. Indeed, I never want a vehicle that requires too much and too expensive repairs, that's why I've always gone for reliable, time-proven solid design (older Corolla, Camry, Cressida, Land Cruiser, W123 Benz). Reliability, ease of user-maintenance are some of my key criteria. Don't want a newer "black-box" car needing a computer to diagnose. But those older trustworthy user-maintainable vehicles are becoming fewer every year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom