Should I consider a salt belt vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into an LX470 just for weekend light offroad. I think the AHC is about shot and will definitely need to be replaced with LC suspension kit or OME. The rear hatch (upper) is rusted and will need to be replaced eventually. Should I stay away completely? Is there anything else I should be concerned with for a car from Ohio?

Thanks!

Gets asked about once a week or two. Search bar.

Can't say without pics too. Short answer is it'll be easy to dump another $6k into.

I'm looking into an LX470 just for weekend light offroad. I think the AHC is about shot and will definitely need to be replaced with LC suspension kit or OME. The rear hatch (upper) is rusted and will need to be replaced eventually. Should I stay away completely? Is there anything else I should be concerned with for a car from Ohio?

Thanks!
Only if you already live there. I’m in Alabama and I would never consider anything from the rust belt. Just my $.02.

I grew up there and didn’t realize how bad it was until I moved south. Took my car to the shop and first thing the mechanic said to me is this must be a northern car. It never occurred to me that cars didn’t just rust out...

If it’s cheap enough that you want to gamble on it sure. If it’s a long term purchase I would say pass.

If the car is from the Toledo area, I would be on the look out for U of M stickers ;)

No.

The difference in condition between vehicles in the rust-belt and not is hard to understate. It affects everything. I mean everything. Unless it's lived it's life in a country club paddock you'll never be able to take the rust belt out of a rust-belt car.

Thanks!
Depends on how long you wish to live with the truck. For example if you're only planning to buy it and take it on a 1 year trip over the continent, and then throw it away, then it is okay. Or if you're keeping it for a couple (3-4) years as a hobby car, don't mind if not everything is in pristine order on it, but it gives you fun taking it out in the woods every couple weekends, then also yes.
However if you're planning on keeping it for the next 30 years (be honest to yourself!:p), willing to dump in a lot of money into an already 20 yo truck if (I mean when) the transmission, engine, diffs, whatnot fails, will never going to get rear ended or accidentally crashed, then no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom