Should I change the timing belt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just bought this 04' with 180k from my dad. I'm not sure the timing belt has ever been replaced..smh. having the tech look at it for cracks when the CV boots are repaired. $2500 car turns into a $6000 car real quick!!
$2500 04 100 series is a STEAL either way. Congrats!

Thanks man, I drove a 94 LC80 from about 223K to 350K and couldn't wait to get back in one. My 08 4Runner wasn't quite the same. Quoted $850 for Timing Belt, S Belt, Tensioner, WaterPump. Mechanic has serious doubts the car would be at 180k with the original timing belt. I suppose I should call Toyota and see what service records they have.

Thanks man, I drove a 94 LC80 from about 223K to 350K and couldn't wait to get back in one. My 08 4Runner wasn't quite the same. Quoted $850 for Timing Belt, S Belt, Tensioner, WaterPump. Mechanic has serious doubts the car would be at 180k with the original timing belt. I suppose I should call Toyota and see what service records they have.

Just go here and sign up and put your vin in.

Wow -- Timing belt/Sbelt/Water pump service was never done at the 90k interval. I'm running at 180k on the original...

Theres no sticker under the hood. My records show nothing but oil changes and brakes. For being as smart as he is, my dad is a real dingus when it comes to cars.

Wow -- Timing belt/Sbelt/Water pump service was never done at the 90k interval. I'm running at 180k on the original...

Theres no sticker under the hood. My records show nothing but oil changes and brakes. For being as smart as he is, my dad is a real dingus when it comes to cars.

It could have been done by an independent shop unless your Dad only used Toyota? But that’s cool that your LC only has had regular maintenance and still works well.

Interesting to see people claiming the 2UZ is an interference engine in this thread, but every other thread I’ve seen claims it is NOT. Mine is at 230,000 and belt hasn’t been done since 90,000. I’m not terribly worried. I met a Tundra owner the other day who has a side business dealing in Toyota trucks and parts. They have 320,000 miles on the Tundra and have not done a T-belt. They’ve owned it since new. The truck is pristine and otherwise like new. No need to panic if you find yourself 10-20,000 over it seems...

Wow, antique thread revival! Since it was your father's previously why don't you start by asking him where he used to get it serviced and check with them? You can't tell a lot by looking at it, and it takes a bit to look at it anyway. 180k should be ready for its second replacement. Doing it is insurance, If you want to roll the dice, go ahead...

I followed Utah's link and can see everything. Theres a service history gap from 100k to 130k, where he probably used a Jack Williams Tire & Auto center for oil changes every 5000k. But for engine type he typically brought the car to Toyota. And the records show nothing but brakes/rotors and oil changes every 5k. Naturally he doesn't recall any work that hes done.

I'll definitely be proceeding with this work for peace of mind.

Sorry FNG here. Is there a way to remove the cover to see the condition of the timing belt. Without removing all the other stuff in the way?

Or I’m SoL gotta remove the box and hose and a bunch of other things just to see if the belt looks ok. I don’t have a sticker and I can’t tell if the independent shop ever replaced the Timing belt. But it was replaced at 90k ish by Lexus. I’m still currently at 236k I’m the third owner.

Thanks.

It's super easy to pull the air box, a few hoses and the passenger side TB cover to get a look at the belt. I was in a similar situation as you recently. New to me rig with an unknown TB history. I pulled the cover and found it looked pristine. Even the marking were still visible. I'm still going to change it eventually, but for now the money is going to get reallocated else where...like replacing my brown radiator.

If he sold you that car for $2500, he certainly is.... or he loves you a lot!

It's super easy to pull the air box, a few hoses and the passenger side TB cover to get a look at the belt. I was in a similar situation as you recently. New to me rig with an unknown TB history. I pulled the cover and found it looked pristine. Even the marking were still visible. I'm still going to change it eventually, but for now the money is going to get reallocated else where...like replacing my brown radiator.

Following your suggestion, I did just this for my recently purchased '99. Couldn't find a write-up anywhere of the minimum disassembly to inspect, so I'll post one here. All fasteners are 10 mm and the job will probably take 15-30 minutes.

• Remove sight shield/V-box cover (2 nuts, 2 bolts on top of cover)
  • Unclip air filter upper housing and MAF sensor harness
  • IMG_3607_LI.jpg
  • Remove four small hoses and two bolts from air intake assembly shown below
  • IMG_3606.JPG
  • Loosen boot clamp at throttle body (already removed in photo)
  • IMG_3605_LI.jpg
  • Lift off majority of air intake assembly. The air filter and the bottom of the air filter housing will remain in place.
  • Remove timing belt cover (3 bolts, 1 nut)
Both sides of the timing belt should now be visible. Here's an example of one that looked terrible but still hadn't snapped yet.

Here was mine after 60k and 12 years since the last replacement, the last 5 with the vehicle almost never driven by the previous owner. I was concerned that dry rot would have set in, but it looks great! Making an anecdotal assessment based on these threads, I plan on changing it every 100k going forward for simplicity.
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG

Hi - sorry, I'm looking for a bit of advice here on the time duration interval of 6 years Lexus recommends and this thread looked promising with those who would have good insights. I just got a '03 LX470 with about 70k miles on the timing belt (truck is at ~140K, 1st owner to 130K over-maintained, which is why the TB and WP were changed at 70k). The question I am asking is because the belt and water pump were last replaced in 2009, is this too long ago from a time perspective to drive the belt 20k more mile to get to 90k miles on the belt? Seems like a lot of time to me. Thanks

Hi - sorry, I'm looking for a bit of advice here on the time duration interval of 6 years Lexus recommends and this thread looked promising with those who would have good insights. I just got a '03 LX470 with about 70k miles on the timing belt (truck is at ~140K, 1st owner to 130K over-maintained, which is why the TB and WP were changed at 70k). The question I am asking is because the belt and water pump were last replaced in 2009, is this too long ago from a time perspective to drive the belt 20k more mile to get to 90k miles on the belt? Seems like a lot of time to me. Thanks

You should start with an inspection of the belt at the passenger side cover. Note that the 90k / 6 year interval applies to a long list of service items and doesn't seem to be specifically targeted to the timing belt. Was the 70k mile belt done at the dealer with an OE belt? The video in post 33 is a good argument for using an OE or OEM belt, and not a Dayco. You're probably fine at 70k and 10 years but you should have a look at it. If there's any cracking or fraying it's got to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom