should i buy this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my friend wants to sell me his 1986 (i beleive) 4runner. Its bonestock and has a 22r with a 5 speed. its an SR5. The body is in good condition with minor dents, and just about no rust. the interior is pretty good also. the truck needs a starter and a trans. He wants $200 for it. My plan is to take it, put a 4" suspension 3" body and 35's on it, with ARB front bumper with a winch, put a snorkel on it, and do some engine mods, anyone else have any suggestions on what to do. this is my first 4runner

70LCruiser said:
my friend wants to sell me his 1986 (i beleive) 4runner. Its bonestock and has a 22r with a 5 speed. its an SR5. The body is in good condition with minor dents, and just about no rust. the interior is pretty good also. the truck needs a starter and a trans. He wants $200 for it. My plan is to take it, put a 4" suspension 3" body and 35's on it, with ARB front bumper with a winch, put a snorkel on it, and do some engine mods, anyone else have any suggestions on what to do. this is my first 4runner

I'd buy it for that price, in a heart beat.

Skip the body lift: you don't need it and your ARB bumper won't work w/ it unless you want to cut it all apart and rebuilt it.

well i was probably going to make my own front bumper anyways (a lot cheaper) im having a real hard time passing it up basically for the price. do u have any suggestions on what kind of parts to buy?

Where are you located? I have a 5 speed and transfercase from an '85 in Harrisonburg, VA as well as a front axle for a SAS...

bk

Was'nt 85 and up equipped with 22re (fuel injection) instead of carbed 22r?

masteryota said:
Was'nt 85 and up equipped with 22re (fuel injection) instead of carbed 22r?

The only 4Runners available with a carb were the 84's. 85+ are all EFI.

im in NJ, how much do u want for the axle, trans, and xfercase, also will that trans bolt up to my motor because its a 22re not a 22r, i dont have the truck yet, probably by the end of the week if not next week

Also the 22r in the 86 have a weak tranny and a forward shift case. Find someone with a w56 and a top shift case, it will be stronger and able to add a crawler without modifying the rear case.

ok thanks. If i buy that solid front axle, i just order a lift for a toyota mini truck that is older than '85? I do realize i need to buy shackles and make spring hangers. How big should i go to be able to clear 35x14.5 boggers without rubbing

70LCruiser said:
im in NJ, how much do u want for the axle, trans, and xfercase, also will that trans bolt up to my motor because its a 22re not a 22r, i dont have the truck yet, probably by the end of the week if not next week

Folks - there's some misinformation here.

ALL 85-89 4runners have the 22RE. The 22R was only available in the 84. **
ALL 85-89 4Runners have the W56 tranny. The G52 was only available in 84.**

**-excludes the 3zve/R150 combo available in 88-89.

bkg,

Sorry to rain on your parade but not ALL 1985 minis and 4runner ended up with the 22re. I have wrenched on original equipment 22r's in early model year vehicles.

I bet you didn't know that a few hundred, 1995 4x4 minis got the 3.4 V6 either, before the Tacoma came out. A friend of mine had one of those.

It's not always black and white.

bkg said:
Folks - there's some misinformation here.

ALL 85-89 4runners have the 22RE. The 22R was only available in the 84. **
ALL 85-89 4Runners have the W56 tranny. The G52 was only available in 84.**

**-excludes the 3zve/R150 combo available in 88-89.

WOW!!!!!!!! Talk about misinformation.

I have a 22r in my 85 4Runner so not ALL 85s have 22re engines. 2nd G52 was produced from 84-86 so you are also incorrect. Don't correct people if you do not have your facts straight.

I have a 22r in my 85 4Runner so not ALL 85s have 22re engines. 2nd G52 was produced from 84-86 so you are also incorrect. Don't correct people if you do not have your facts straight.

I heard that there were some in 86 that had the 22r.. Did not know they still produced the 22r that late..

ATLRoach said:
WOW!!!!!!!! Talk about misinformation.

I have never seen an 85 4Runner with a 22r. I have seen 84's and 84.5's, but never an 85. You'll have to show me VIN plates that say differently for an 85 to convince me otherwise.

G52 was produced through 87 but only behind the 22r and ONLY in the pickup. There were no carbed 4Runners in 86 - 89, and no G52's in 4runner's during those years. That is fact: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

More engine info from the man who knows:
http://www.brian894x4.com/Toyotapickup4Runnermodels.html

Last edited:
calamaridog said:
bkg,

Sorry to rain on your parade but not ALL 1985 minis and 4runner ended up with the 22re. I have wrenched on original equipment 22r's in early model year vehicles.

I bet you didn't know that a few hundred, 1995 4x4 minis got the 3.4 V6 either, before the Tacoma came out. A friend of mine had one of those.

It's not always black and white.

The 3.4 in the mini is an urban legend. There has been talk about that for years, but not a single person has produced a picture or anything other than "my dad's cousin once saw..." information. The 3.4 doesn't even fit that engine bay w/o a body-lift. Sorry, I don't buy that your friend had one - not w/o pics and a VIN tag.

I'm re-researching the 22r in 85 4Runners... I think they were late 84's, not 85's...

bkg said:
The 3.4 in the mini is an urban legend. There has been talk about that for years, but not a single person has produced a picture or anything other than "my dad's cousin once saw..." information. The 3.4 doesn't even fit that engine bay w/o a body-lift. Sorry, I don't buy that your friend had one - not w/o pics and a VIN tag.

I'm re-researching the 22r in 85 4Runners... I think they were late 84's, not 85's...

I'll be glad to get a pic of the title and the engine bay. I know I have it and I really have nothing to prove but if you want pics I'll take them.

ATLRoach said:
I'll be glad to get a pic of the title and the engine bay. I know I have it and I really have nothing to prove but if you want pics I'll take them.

Now THAT I would love to see... There have been rumors for years, but not a single shred of evidence, so I'm very interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom