Should i buy this Land Cruiser? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am new here. I would love some help from all you Bayou City Experts. I own a 1967 FJ40 and just got it running after a year of tinkering w it. I love driving it so much, i am considering buying another. My wife wants to ditch her Forester and get “something bigger.” I figure i better buy her a Land Cruiser before she comes home with a Tahoe or something. I know nearly nothing about landcruisers other than that is what my guide drove on my safari in africa and my guide drove on a race through the sand dunes in dubai. I figure they must be tough. I also saw that someone got a million miles out of a 4.7 so i want one! What do you guys think about this one? Should i buy it? Is this a good year.

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser Base AWD 4dr SUV

upload_2018-8-3_17-57-5.jpeg

upload_2018-8-3_17-57-5.png

upload_2018-8-3_17-57-15.jpeg

upload_2018-8-3_17-57-15.png

Not an expert. Don't even own a 100. But I have been doing a lot of reading as I'm considering getting one to share DD duty with my 80. I don't see AHC listed which I understand is a nice convenience but another maintenance item that can be costly if broken. So that's good. I do see the nav system which I understand can be a real costly PITA if you want to upgrade the stereo in the truck. In the 100 series tech section there's a good thread I've read a couple times comparing the LX to LC and differences between years etc. I don't know how to link it but it's called something like "Questions before I buy this LX..............." or something like that. Price seems fair but I would prefer to pay the PO rather than a small dealership. That means they paid less than that and would make me think something is wrong with it. I'm paranoid like that . And.. buying used cars in Houston is a risky business far as I'm concerned due to the amount water we get here occasionally - unless, of course, you know who you're buying from . Bought my 80 in Bastrop, before that it was an Austin vehicle. Just my $0.02.

Great tips. Thank you. I see that it has a new radiator. Slee offroad has a tip sheet in the 100 tech forum that warns this may be an indication of an overheating issue. Anyone know anyone that i can pay to do a comprehensive inspection?

Common issues we're seeing a lot in the shop are below:

CV Axle boots tearing after high mileage. We typically replace the whole CV axle as the grease in them starts to discolor and it's about time to replace anyways.
Steering rack output shaft starts developing play and leaking at the boots
Lower ball joints
Heater Ts
Brake Master Cylinder assembly goes bad. I have had numerous vehicles in the shop with various portions of the MC going bad (brake booster, ABS module, master cylinder seal)

The truck does look pretty clean, and the timing belt service has been done. For the condition and miles, I do think its appropriately priced, but I would definitely check to see if you can take it out on an extended test drive over the weekend to see if any issues pop up. The engine bay looks freshly detailed, and there definitely could be some gremlins hiding under there which hopefully should pop up on an extended test drive.

Common issues we're seeing a lot in the shop are below:

CV Axle boots tearing after high mileage. We typically replace the whole CV axle as the grease in them starts to discolor and it's about time to replace anyways.
Steering rack output shaft starts developing play and leaking at the boots
Lower ball joints
Heater Ts
Brake Master Cylinder assembly goes bad. I have had numerous vehicles in the shop with various portions of the MC going bad (brake booster, ABS module, master cylinder seal)

The truck does look pretty clean, and the timing belt service has been done. For the condition and miles, I do think its appropriately priced, but I would definitely check to see if you can take it out on an extended test drive over the weekend to see if any issues pop up. The engine bay looks freshly detailed, and there definitely could be some gremlins hiding under there which hopefully should pop up on an extended test drive.
Great advice. Thank you SO much!

Hey, this is Conrad, i live down in Friendswood and i have a ‘67 fj40 myself. I’d love to get together and talk about our rigs if your up for it!
Conrad

Did you end up buying this truck?

No. It had an oil leak so i passed. They had another one but had rusty undercarriage. Im still lioking. Please let me know if you see a good 100 series

Roger that. Any certain criteria? 2003+ for the 5 spd? Any concerns with children and LATCH systems?

I have been looking 2003 to 2007. Mileage does not matter but i want one that is clean. What changed w LATCH systems?

My current 80 came from Oregon too. It's in great shape since they don't salt the roads up there. Congrats on purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom