Should I buy this 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The clear coat is going, frame has been welded but it starts right up. The guy says it’s never been rebuilt and has 480k kms on it. My big worry is that it smokes a bit and he says he needs to top up the oil every 3 weeks or so. I understand that the engine may need a rebuild, but I am hoping I’d be able to make it through the winter with it.

Thoughts / comments advice ?

DAFAD7F4-CC2D-443A-8168-936573ED440E.png

C4E74640-583B-40E7-9832-2B1528739A91.png

I don’t see any mention of goals or usage besides “make it through the winter”

Price? Is it a BJ60 or HJ60? Smoke might not mean much with a diesel.

Be sure to keep a warm jacket and some waterproof boots in the back. You will probably be getting your 10,000 steps in

I bought one of those G HJ60 in ~2013. What year is it?

* Check the frame & body (pull up corners of carpet if you have to, and around the rear seat mounts at the rear wheel wells) for rust, if you're living in a mountain town it'll only get worse. The frame on mine was swiss cheese that the previous mechanic had hidden under tacked on sheet metal and a generous amount of undercoat. If you ever want to do anything armor-wise (sliders/bumpers/whateverers) you'll need a clean-ish frame. If you don't want salt water spray sloshing around your interior check those rear wheel wells closely.
* Is it 12V or 24V? My guess is 24V, which is entertaining from a novelty aspect (24V starter and superglow makes starting the 2H a breeze), but expect everything else to be a pain in the ass: bulbs, OEM electronics needing eventual replacement, aftermarket electronics
* Check for obvious leaks, if oil is being consumed enough to top up every three weeks (km is a way more useful metric) you probably want to do a compression test before buying.

Having said all that, since it seems like your first 60, enjoy the ride :)

My rule for vintage guitars is, if I am not in love in the first 5 minutes - it’s a PASS. I got lucky on an FJ 60 years ago, so I understand the craving 100%. I walked around it, then test- drove it, and within 5 minutes I was scheming how to pay for it and drive it home before she could object. Lol
The question is “can I find a better one?”
Best wishes. We love our FJ60!! 👍

My rule for vintage guitars is, if I am not in love in the first 5 minutes - it’s a PASS. I got lucky on an FJ 60 years ago, so I understand the craving 100%.
The question is “can I find a better one?”
Best wishes. We love our FJ60!! 👍
That’s why I sold my Squire and bought a American Fender❤️

I was looking at this one too, the seller lives in the same province as me.

Body looks bad, I have looked at a lot of BJ60s online only to be disappointed in person everytime with rust. At 480,000km and lots rust, 6500, ain’t worth it. The listing has been up for a while, maybe offer 4K or something idk.

hahahahaha it will be my daily. Im going to be living in a mountain town, so lots of snowy driving and then the world is my oyster after that
It’s gonna be slow in the mountains, you will want to rip the steering wheel off.

good chassis is one of the most valuable parts I reckon. Best to look for one with a good chassis, can fix body rust, replace or rebuild engines easy in comparison to chassis work. Lucky finds come with effort and patience. Steep asking price for miles and rust from this side of the table.

Did someone mention to RUNNNNNNNNNNNN. :rofl:

Did someone mention to RUNNNNNNNNNNNN. :rofl:
This is the only way to get cruisers in BC they aren’t common not easy to find in good shape. My cruiser isn’t even from BC because all of the Rust they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom