Should i Buy This 4Runner Hilux Conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, i am on the hunt for a 4x4 diesel vehicle to run on WVO. I found someone on ebay selling a US '95 4runner that has a Hilux engine from a Japanese Toyota Surf- i wanna go look at it but i was looking for some advice from you guys on what to look for in the truck and red flags on the swap.
I've attached photos and the description- the guy wants $6500 for it....i would truly appreciate any advice!
thank you,
hannah
Description:
For sale is a 1995 Toyota 4Runner 2.4 TURBO DIESEL 5 Speed 4WD SUV. My cousin is the second owner of this vehicle and since its conversion from gas to diesel engine. This vehicle originally had a 22RE engine ( 4 cyl gas powered) and was converted to a toyota 2L-TE TURBO DIESEL engine. The 2L-TE came from a half cut toyota surf from Japan. It supposedly had a 136,000 Kilometers or 84,000 miles. Approximately 55,000 miles had been put in since. 2 1/2 donor vehicles were involved in this conversion. 1. The red vehicle where the diesel engine was put in. 2. The Half Cut vehicle, where the diesel engine and electrical parts were taken from. and another vehicle for miscellaneous parts. The vehicle has all time 4wd or 2wd with the switches in the front wheel hub. The vehicle has some minor rusts ( as shown in pictures.) The vehicle runs very well and averages about 19- 21 mpg. It can get as much as 26 mpg on hi-way driving.
The instrument cluster on this vehicle now was from a 6 cylinder 4runner donor vehicle which had that 263,000 mile reading. The original owner did this because the half cut from Japan used the metric system or kilometers in their instrument cluster. This main donor 4runner originally had a 4 cylinder engine, who's instrument cluster had 106,000 miles before the swap, cable won't fit the diesel engine, but mated well with the 6 cylinder instrument cluster.
The diesel engine when installed had 130,000 km or 80,000 miles ( original instrument cluster showing the mileage, is included) + about 55,000miles is about 135,000 miles now. The body which had 105,000miles based on dmv report) has about 160,000 miles. So, engine is 135,000miles and body 160,000 miles.
Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 4.16.56 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 4.16.48 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 4.17.15 PM.jpg

For 6500, I'd probably jump on that. But you will have issues running WVO in an electronically controlled engine.

Pat

The 2LT's are well known for cracking heads. If it hasn't had a head replacement, then factor that into your purchase price.
They are also very slow. Test drive it in your worst conditions and see if you can live with it.

The reported fuel economy appears to be completely honest. That's refreshing.

As tempting as that truck may be, IMHO the L-series is the least desirable and most problematic diesel engine family that Toyota ever made.

If you do a little reading, I think you'll find (as stated in the above posts) that these engines crack heads like it's their job.

Thanks so much you guys, this is all very helpful!
hannah

As tempting as that truck may be, IMHO the L-series is the least desirable and most problematic diesel engine family that Toyota ever made.

Only when they have a turbo added.The L 2L 3L 5L 5LE are all non turbo and have been around in one form or another for 30 years and in their naturally aspirated form they have proven to be very reliable.
Bit lacking in power maybe,but they'll get you there.

But I think the problems with the 2LT E are bit overblown. Ive met 2 people now who have them in Surfs with high klms and never heard of the problem.

Only when they have a turbo added.The L 2L 3L 5L 5LE are all non turbo and have been around in one form or another for 30 years and in their naturally aspirated form they have proven to be very reliable.

But I think the problems with the 2LT E are bit overblown. Ive met 2 people now who have them in Surfs with high klms and never heard of the problem.

The non turbo ones don't have enough power to break themselves, yet the non turbo 3L still crack heads. The 4runner in question is turbocharged.

The 2LT in Australia are quite rare, they were never sold new there. NZ we got thousands of them as used japanese imports, I think every person I know with one has cracked the head.

The non turbo ones don't have enough power to break themselves, yet the non turbo 3L still crack heads. The 4runner in question is turbocharged.

The 2LT in Australia are quite rare, they were never sold new there. NZ we got thousands of them as used japanese imports, I think every person I know with one has cracked the head.

In my opinion the 2lt is not a bad engine and the cracking head issue is seriously overrated.the 1KZ is actualy the most problematic head cracking toyota engine.I have owned many 2LT's and 1Kz's in the past and never blown a headgasket.

I did however bought a few 2LT's and KZ's with cracked heads but always replaced the head with a cheap aftermarket one and never had the issue again.I know many people personaly who bought LJ70's new and drove them over 300.000 km's and never had a head issue.

Buy the Hilux and if the head ever fails buy a cheap chinese head in Latin america,they sell there for around 500$ replace it and never look back:steer::cheers:

Joe

In my opinion the 2lt is not a bad engine and the cracking head issue is seriously overrated.the 1KZ is actualy the most problematic head cracking toyota engine.I have owned many 2LT's and 1Kz's in the past and never blown a headgasket.

Headgaskets are fine. It's the heads themselves that crack.

I did however bought a few 2LT's and KZ's with cracked heads but always replaced the head with a cheap aftermarket one and never had the issue again.I know many people personaly who bought LJ70's new and drove them over 300.000 km's and never had a head issue.

The aftermarket heads are better than original. I don't know of anyone who has cracked a replacement head.

The E engines crack heads sooner because they are higher powered and run hotter.

North American highway grades are steeper and longer, topography more extreme and highway cruising speeds higher than in Australia. I have driven extensively on both continents.
Any engine cooling issues due to neglect or design weakness will surface in North American before they will in Australia. I believe this is the reason the 2LTE seems to last in Australia, but not so well in North America.
Attached is a grade profile we have to contend with from Vancouver to the Interior of British Columbia - unofficial speed limit is 110 -130 kph. Tough on engines...

View attachment Hwy 5 Coquihalla Pass grade-profile.pdf.

Last edited:
North American highway grades are steeper and longer, topography more extreme and highway cruising speeds higher than in Australia. I have driven extensively on both continents.
Any engine cooling issues due to neglect or design weakness will surface in North American before they will in Australia. I believe this is the reason the 2LTE seems to last in Australia, but not so well in North America.

Also why New Zealand finds so many engine and vehicle problems. We have several alpine passes comparable to that one. One of them has a known 15% grade, the others aren't posted.

Attached is a grade profile we have to contend with from Vancouver to the Interior of British Columbia - unofficial speed limit is 110 -130 kph. Tough on engines...

A lot of owners in North America blew their engines driving around the suburbs in cool temperatures.
IMO the damage was probably done before the engine left Japan.
While australia doesnt have the steep gradients some countries have,most of us have been driving around in 40c heat for the last 2 weeks with more on the way.

My engine temp gauge moved 3mm off the min the other day on a "cold start" in 42c.Normally it takes 5 mins to get there

The 2LT was imported in reasonable numbers here although the locally sold L engines far outweigh them

Legal speeds here are 130kph in NT and 110kph in WA aand everyhwere elses is 100 and like anywhere else,everydone 10-20kph over that.

too bad we didn't know about these bullet proof aftermarket heads a few years back.
we replaced the cracked heads with the 3L "upgrade" head from Toyota. they still crack.

you want problems then buy that drivetrain. it really is that simple.

too bad we didn't know about these bullet proof aftermarket heads a few years back.
we replaced the cracked heads with the 3L "upgrade" head from Toyota. they still crack.

you want problems then buy that drivetrain. it really is that simple.

I wouldn't call them "bulletproof", but they seem to last longer than the originals.

If you want a Turbo Diesel 4Runner and you cool with the rust and the price at least drive it and see if you like it...

Why is he selling it?
How often do you see one for sale where you are?
What's the story with the full time/part time 4wd?

If you drive it and you like it, get a good workshop to check the car over and if it checks out ok.... go from there.

If I was looking after a 2LT-E from a Jap import I would like to retorque the head (this was periodic maintence 30 years ago)and also remove the radiator and check it over completely. I have read somewhere that some automatic Surf's that came into Australia as grey imports had an auto transmission cooler/heater in the bottom tank which restricts the radiator outlet. I would pressure test the radiator while it's out

My 3L has done 203,000 kms with no head or cooling issues at all. I can confirm a 3L engine in a Hiace minivan taxi doing over 1,600,000 kms with no issues (it went through 5 gearbox's in that time). Most 5L's I know of have been rebuilt or replaced with a 3L due to head issues. The 2LT engines have different blocks, cranks etc but I would run one if I had one...

Good Luck

Well since I actually have a surf with a 2lte ill chime in. The head cracking is way overblown. There are a few things that should be done to the motor and than u will have no issues unless a pre existing condition is present.

Turbo back go 3 inch exhaust, add an intercooler and for good measure a hood scoop. My water temps barely get to 180f even when pulling a 14 ft trailer. My egt at most on a long steep hill will hit 1000f. That is pulling up steep grades in the Rocky Mountains. Not gonna get more strain than that.

These engines are not that weak. It was a bad design by Toyota sticking the turbo so close the the engine with a restrictive dump pipe. Egt rises and that corner of the motor overheats and head cracks. Take the heat out and let the exhaust flow and no more heating issues.

My engine pulls way way harder than my old 3vz powered runner did. With 33 inch tires and 456 gears I'm easily doing hwy speeds.

In regards to that particular truck, I may stay away because of the rust. Find a rhd surf in Canada for sale and u get the clean chassis and the diesel.

okay, lets discuss the head issues that are "way over blown"
Dan at 4wheelauto was selling 4 heads A WEEK back in 07/08 at the height of the import craze. (that is NOT counting the number of heads that Radd Cruisers, that parts supplier in Vancouver, the delica shop next to Radd sold, people bringing their own in from overseas, people buying direct from Toyota on their own.)
lets say some weeks are a bit slower than others, 10 heads a month, 120 heads in a year.
lets guesstimate that 1200 LJ/LNs came into canada that year (way more than actual), that works out to 10% head cracking.

... do you still think that the head issues is "way over blown"?

Ya I do. Fix the issues like I said and no more overheating. Japan isn't too big on vehicle maintenance. The industry is set up to discard old used vehicles to buy new so the maintenance of vehicles suffers.

If the engine is so crappy how is it in almost every hilux and surf around the world. Running terrorists and rebels around jungles and deserts with no problems?

Is my 2lte some fluke that it starts in minus 50 weather and drives to the tops of any pass in the Rocky Mountains? Or when it's +32 Celsius and I'm towing my camper up a MTN in the middle of the bush and the temp gauge stays rock solid?

I know that the heads can crack, not disputing that. So do the 3vz, so do a hell of a lot of other engines. I don't think it's fair to totally discredit the l series and say that all heads are crap tho.

If u don't flush and fill ur cooling system regularly than any motor will have issues.

okay, lets discuss the head issues that are "way over blown"
Dan at 4wheelauto was selling 4 heads A WEEK back in 07/08 at the height of the import craze. (that is NOT counting the number of heads that Radd Cruisers, that parts supplier in Vancouver, the delica shop next to Radd sold, people bringing their own in from overseas, people buying direct from Toyota on their own.)
lets say some weeks are a bit slower than others, 10 heads a month, 120 heads in a year.
lets guesstimate that 1200 LJ/LNs came into canada that year (way more than actual), that works out to 10% head cracking.

... do you still think that the head issues is "way over blown"?

I think that australian company makes and sells heads for them, alihead or aluhead or something, they make the high nickel 3B heads as well.

Im sure they have problems, but if that one is good and your really keen to buy it then go ahead, I would look at an aftermarket coolant and pyro gauge, clean the cooling system thoroughly, and beware of over heating it, and still dont be surprised if its a needed upgrade in the future. But if its two or three grand to fix the bugs in the vehicle you want, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom