Should I buy this 100 (and for how much)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm on the hunt for a 100 and came across a 2006 LX with 125k on it at a used car dealer, asking $17,900. I'm already new to the state, and the dealer isn't in my town, so the best I could come up with for a pre-purchase inspection was a local Lexus dealer. They looked at it today and said everything looked great. I've also driven it and everything seemed to be well cared for and in good working order (though I'm no mechanic).

However, I've read enough to to ask about whether the timing belt was replaced at 90k, and the Lexus service center couldn't confirm whether it had been done or not. They said it's not listed in the Lexus service history and they didn't see a sticker, but it seems like it was sold at ~85k and the owner since then did not use Toyota/Lexus service centers.

Is there a way to confirm whether the timing belt / water pump has been done vs. is still original? Should I push the used car dealer to drop the price to account for that, in addition to the negotiating I was already planning on? Thoughts on a fair offer? I was already hoping to get him down to $16,500. Or, should I abandon this one altogether and find one with a documented service history? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

See if you can knock off about $1,400-$1,800.

Crawl underneath and check how bad the rust is.

If you have them do the TB/WP make sure the heater hose T's are done as well.

Thanks for the suggestion about the heater hose T's. There's a little bit of rust, but it all looked to be superficial, and the PPI didn't mention anything of note, so I don't think that's something to be too concerned about. I assume absolutely zero rust would be a bit optimistic, right?

If you sign up here:

you can get a good idea of where the truck spent its life, since usually the first owner gets the vehicle serviced at the dealer.
Where you are yeah 0 rust would be optimistic, in Virginia it would be as well. The SW guys will chime in and say "don't touch it" if there's a spec of rust, but then again it never snows on mothers day down there either 👽

Do you have any pictures of the truck?

If you sign up here:

you can get a good idea of where the truck spent its life, since usually the first owner gets the vehicle serviced at the dealer.
Where you are yeah 0 rust would be optimistic, in Virginia it would be as well. The SW guys will chime in and say "don't touch it" if there's a spec of rust, but then again it never snows on mothers day down there either 👽

Do you have any pictures of the truck?

Haha fair point. The only way to avoid it up here would be keeping it locked up in the garage from November to May. I don't have any pictures I took, but the listing has some pretty good pictures

Last edited:
@gamecockLX, welcome aboard. This is a really great group of folks and a great resource. However, don't post links to what you may think, you want to buy...they have a way of evaporating rather quickly soon after link posted. You would be surprised the amount of folks on the hunt.

Ideas on rust vary greatly: Ultimate Rust / Undercarriage Thread

You might be better off knowing the timing belt has not been done. The factory belts and craftsmanship are top notch and built to last.

Lots of parts are required to be removed and reinstalled in order to replace a belt. Lots of stories about belt failure due to parts being replaced with incorrect components or faulty work.

You might be better off knowing the timing belt has not been done. The factory belts and craftsmanship are top notch and built to last.

Lots of parts are required to be removed and reinstalled in order to replace a belt. Lots of stories about belt failure due to parts being replaced with incorrect components or faulty work.
I hadn’t thought about it that way - that’s a really good point. Do you still think $18k is a fair price though, or should I push for more like $16k to leave room to do that myself (or more realistically pay Lexus to do it)? Obviously I want the best price possible, but trying to figure out where my walk away number should be since I don’t have much experience with these.

It's a good price. I see tacomas and tundras of similar age and miles listed for similar prices and the LX was probably double the MSRP.

If the truck is in good shape offer 500 less than asking. Having the 90k service done at Lexus should be around 1200 and you don't need to have it done immediately. Drive it for a year or two and plan on having it done in the next couple years.

Have all the fluids changed if needed.

For a 120k I wouldn't worry about maintenance records if the oil smelled right and the drivetrain looked and felt right. There is not much maintenance to do from 0 to 125k other than TB.

For TB and WB I would try to haggle the price with the dealer.

Forgot to check back- OP what did you decide to do?

Thanks for checking back!. I'm going with it. I talked to the dealer and he's going to do the TB and WP for me at the list price ($18k). We talked for a good while and he's owned a 100, seemed overall competent and trustworthy, and I found nothing but good reviews for his shop, so I feel pretty good about it.

Pictures? We will wait.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom