Should I buy it? (Engine) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to buy a 2UZFE non VVT from a local person for 250 bucks. There’s a loss of compression on two of the cylinders, 1 and 8.

I don’t need a motor, but my LX has over 200k miles.

I haven’t rebuilt a motor before, I have factory service manuals, tools, plenty of time, and want to learn.

Is this even worth the time?

No

Why not, for $250 bucks just consider it something to learn and wrench on. Maybe can pull some parts as spare for current rig.

This was kinda what I was thinking, I may be needing a new head anyway sooner rather than later
Yeah, would be nice to know the condition / history of the blown motor. But either way if you have a few extra bucks and means to get it back to your garage then go for it. Could rebuild the starter for cheap, have a few spare parts, and just wrench on the rest for practice.

There’s a loss of compression on two of the cylinders, 1 and 8.
No, it’s a waste of money, space, and time.

but my LX has over 200k miles.
Assuming your engine has been maintained slightly better than an Afghanistan battlefield, then 200k is nothing to fret about.

I may be needing a new head anyway sooner rather than later
Why? And what would the engine with already dying/dead cylinders on both banks get you? Both heads on that engine may be warped or cracked…

No, it’s a waste of money, space, and time.
Your missing the key piece of info
"I haven’t rebuilt a motor before, I have factory service manuals, tools, plenty of time, and want to learn "

=]

You’ll never be able to reproduce the exacting tolerances that Toyota did.. or so I’ve been told. But it can’t hurt learning something new

V8 is heavy and moving it is not fun. 200K miles is nothing for a toyota. I can guarantee as a person who dealt with Toyota's since 1990, any brand new rebuilt engine is still not as good as a200K mile Toyota engine. Maintain the engine, don't let it overheat.

Worth the time from a functional perspective as a back up to your existing engine? Likely not.

Worth the time to dissect and re-assemble per the manual for fun and learning a life skill? Probably so assuming you have that kind of time and space to spare. I learned an enormous amount from rebuilding multiple 7M motors in my college days (finicky inline 6 turbo). Arguably learned more from that engine work than I did from many of my classes. :)

Now.... whether or not engine rebuilding skills translate into anything helpful in regular adult life is a separate question I'm still trying to answer.

I vote tell the local person that you would be willing to take it for free so that you can learn on it since it likely isnt going to be a great engine. Did they give any info on the no compression on 1 and 8? Worst case you have something that takes some space that you can take apart and learn from. Better case is you get some functional spare parts. Best case is the loss of compression is due to something minor and you can get the engine running with a little tinkering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom