Should I buy a donor Corvette for my 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '78 40 that was converted to a chevy small block with an AA kit. That engine (400 SBC) blew years ago, so I pulled it and the cruiser has been in storage ever since (about 15 years). Been thinking about getting it back on the road and I have an opportunity to buy a complete wrecked '99 Corvette C5 with the 5.7l LS1 as a donor. The vette has the manual 6 speed and runs good, it was just totalled from extensive body damage and I can pick it up for $1800. I believe those LS1's have an aluminum block and the shallower oil pan. Any thoughts on using this as a donor, or should I hold out for a different setup? My goal is to keep the stock 4 speed/t-case for now.

Can you part the rest of the corvette out? $1800 might be a bit steep to get an ls in a cruiser, depending on mileage. The good part is you’ll get an alt, p/s pump and ac with it. There are a lot of little stuff to buy still though. I don’t have my ls in yet, but it was $650 for motor(165k 5.3), ecu and wiring harness. I don’t know that that was a deal, but it’s a lot cheaper than I’m seeing in the local classifieds. I’m in the parts gathering stage and waiting for road salt to do the swap.
Personally , the aluminum block doesn’t add any value, but you may see it differently. It’s not going into a lightweight vehicle, so the weight savings are kinda trivial.
If you have the time and want to save money, trimming the stock harness isn’t bad. That was my COVID project. There’s a couple good YouTube videos that go step by step.

I'm thinking the wrecked Vette at $1800 is not a bad deal (provided it is not super high miles) since you'll get a good chunk of that change back when you sell the 6 speed tranny and independent rear-end. When/if you pull the trigger don't throw away any of the Vette stuff until your revamped Landcruiser is running. You will need a set of front motor mount adapters for the LS engine block, but there are zillions of those on ebay. The 1999 LS will need a 40 pulse VSS signal, either Stealth Conversions VSS that goes onto the rear side of your transfer-case, or Dakota Digital gauge conversion that has the VSS built-in.

I could definitely recoup some of the cost by selling the trans (reman that was put in only weeks before), custom exhaust, wheels/tires, etc. I assume I would want to keep the accelerator complete as well? Are the LS1 motor mounts different than the old AA SBC mounts? Thanks for the replies so far.

I could definitely recoup some of the cost by selling the trans (reman that was put in only weeks before), custom exhaust, wheels/tires, etc. I assume I would want to keep the accelerator complete as well? Are the LS1 motor mounts different than the old AA SBC mounts? Thanks for the replies so far.
Yes the mounts are different, but if the old sbc mounts were done well they do make conversion kits to go from old style sbc to ls.
My old sbc mounts were terrible, so I am redoing them

Yep, just get the LS adapter plates for your AA motor mounts- - -easy deal.

IMHO i think its great idea. Some great Unique benefits from vettes are 1) mentioned above, all the parts you can sell to get the engine for free basically, hot rodders love the suspension system / trans axle setup as long as not damaged. 2) 6 speed tranny is sought after. 3) usually not driven in the winter and no salt .....so up north that is a big deal, as in way better condition and typically lower mileage. 4) Pan and center dump mini headers are great for tight FJ40 front frames and clearance.
I think its great that you got the whole car, as you can remove the engine and take what you need and see where everything goes not to mention the above selling stuff off to make it free, but you have all the accessories you need.
Things to plan for thou are If you are going to try and use the wiring and computer, you have to deal with VATS
More horsepower means more heat, its challenging to keep cool in stock space of FJ40 radiatior area. The aluminum block does actually help here. But still will be a challenge of design setup space and fan

Vats can be programmed out, over-heating can be eliminated with a large "air conditioning" 7 bladed fan on a fan clutch, these have more blades on a much heavier pitch, sometimes don't even need a shroud with this fan. Plus this fan creates way more prop wash than an electric fan, blows heat out of the engine compartment using engine horse power rather than a nothing h.p. electric fan that created nothing prop wash- - -my 2cents- - -just saying..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom