1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I but this 72 FJ40

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Grindset, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Grindset

Grindset

Should I buy this 72 FJ40

I have a question about a 72 FJ40 and I figured if you are gonna ask a question ask people in the know and you guys are in the know. My question is this, is this 72 FJ40 worth $1500 with the original soft top, and is the hard top and doors worth another $600.

The guy says the engine was rebuilt not too long ago and the carb was recently tuned. No real cancer rust just some surface. The back fenders as you can see have been cut out. Some of it has been given a coat of primer and is ready to begin a resto. I am not that familiar with Landcruisers just always knew I liked the look and the ability of them. If you guys could tell me what to look for and if this deal is a good one I would appreciate it.

2. incogrhino

incogrhino

I don't think you should "but" any fj40.haha your title. Couldn't help it.

3. incogrhino

incogrhino

looks kind of rough to me.

4. Grindset

Grindset

Here are a few other pics of the interior and the hard top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. clemson55

clemson55

Did that guy get it off of ebay or try to sell it on ebay? Because I have seen it on ebay before.

6. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I would say if its running well and most if not all the lights and high/low range work, It might be a servicable rig, I like the soft top, But I dont think the hard top and doors are worth an extra $600
    The interior is in shambles, I have a 71 that came with a bench front but I dont remember the 40/20/40 split...Is that stock?
    Location?
    Good luck

7. Grindset

Grindset

I'm not sure if he did or not. I found it local about an hour from me, I haven't seen it in person yet and just got the pics today and just wanted to see what people that know FJ40's thought about it before I waste my time going out to see it. Like I said I know very little about these things, give me the bad, what will I have instore as far as things to look at replacing.
    About the seats I have no idea, I think everything on it is stock. The top is and just by looks everything looks like it would be about 33 years old. The guy says he bought it toresto, found another one 77 maybe and decided to resto that one and let this one go. Location is NC.

8. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Well, There are alot of people here from the NC area, You would do yourself good to find a 77 on FJ40, They have front disk brakes and 4speed trans you might even get lucky and find one with factory A/C.
    That being said, There is a guy selling a 77 FJ40 locally he\'s asking $1000.00 it has a blown engine and the usual rust.
    Have a look here https://forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54
    its your local area LC group, They might have more ideas of what is around.
    Keep looking and dont give up and buy a J@@P...its just not the same.
    Good luck again :)

9. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    That funny split seat is a single year abberation for '72.

In my opinion, if it runs and you like it, it is definitely worth what he is asking. Were you to sell it separately, the soft top alone if undamaged could bring you substantially toward the breakeven.

It does need substantial body work, so you have to be prepared for that, but if the drivetrain is good...

10. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

I laughed when you said "No real cancer rust just some surface". Just making sure you knew there were giant holes cut out of the back end where the rust was. :D

11. Grindset

Grindset

yeah I saw that and he did tell me about that but also said that was the only section that had rust and he cut it out and was gonna just weld in some new pieces and then cover that with diamond plate. Like I said I haven't seen it in person so the extent of the rust I don't know, only that he has told me and from the pics it looks like itis mostly just some surface rust. Another thing, maybe it's b/c I don't know where I am suppsed to be looking but, where are the rear lights and do they only have tailgates when they have the hard top?

12. StanCruiserMan

StanCruiserMan

I think its probably worth $1500. I'd say no to the hard top though.
    I don't know if this truck would be right for you or not.
    I also don't know if the engine and frame is ok., so...what do I know?!?

13. Grindset

Grindset

Supposedly the engine is good shape and was rebuilt not too long ago, as for the frame I didn't even ask. Just curious though why you say it might not be right for me? Does anyone know what's the largest tire that will fit w/ out a lift? I looked in all kinds of post and couldn't find that thread anywhere and if it is, I apologize for not looking hard enough.

14. StanCruiserMan

StanCruiserMan

To me the frame would be very important. Look at the rear, especially around the leaf spring mounting points. Also look for rust through where the body mounts to the frame.

This is what I mean basically:
    If you have the time and a little money and some know-how you should be ok. If you are comfortable doing the bodywork and mechanical stuff like brakes, clutch change, or swapping out the engine yourself, etc it should be great for you. If you would bring it to a shop for these things I would say no.

I would generally say 31’s max (or 7.50 16) without a lift. It depends what you are going to do with it. I bet even the 31’s will rub quite a bit when you flex it out.

The tire size (height & width) as well as the rim width and offset have to be taken into account as well as the condition of the springs. So it is not an exact science. Also what one person says will fit will be disputed by someone else who swears 35's fit. Opinions can vary from if there is absolutely no rubbage, to it doesn't rub when I drive down the road.

15. Grindset

Grindset

Well, the body work and the other things I can do, I have a bronco and that thing has definitely had me in the garage, as for the engine swap I would be lost, and that was another thing I wondered about. I noticed a lot of guys here have swapped to a 350. This has the F engine, which I really know little about. Just wondering how strong are these? Is going to the 2F really that much better or am I again getting into a large opinionated field again lol. If I buy it, it isn't going to be my DD, but probably a summer ride something for my drives down to the coast (which is about 6 hours away). Only reason I ask about the tires is b/c the ones on it now are bad and if I am gonna buy new tires for it I want to get the biggest I can in case I put a lift on it that way I'm not stuck with doughnuts.

16. Pinion

Pinion

Offer the guy 1/2 of that and stick to the low end. The frame and who knows what could be bad. I'd check the spots under the tub where the seats mount to, and where the floorboard meets the rocker panel. Check the frame as well. Im sure there will be about 1" of sand in the rails.

EDIT: I just saw that the guy wanted EXTRA for the hard top??? Screw that. Offer the guy 1/2 and when he says he can get what he wants for it on Ebay, tell him good luck. The amount of work the rear quarters need as is would cost you plenty as it sits if you had someone else do the work. He's going to use the "value" of the savings if you do it yourself so tell the guy to go pound sand and sell it on Ebay. Leave him your number and tell him to call you when it doesnt sell.

17. Grindset

Grindset

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and I'm gonna do just like you said, esp. since the guy is moving in less than a month and he doesn't want to haul it off with him. If it falls thru there is another couple of guys selling FJ40's around here, and I think I will end up getting one of those, so I look forward to reading/posting more on this site. Thanks again for all the help.

18. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
    Those look like the OEM soft top doors. If they are, and if there is an OEM soft top "skeleton" inside, then I'd think about buying it. 'Course, if it was an OEM softie, it'd probably have a tailgate...

19. Grindset

Grindset

Alright just got back from looking at the FJ and WOW what a POS. The frame had lots of holes, the body was even worse, the hard top was missing glass and had holes in the fiberglass, the soft top was org. but had tears all over it. I just wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post and told me what to look out for. I told the guy there was no way I could pay $1500 for it, that it was just too bad off, so he said he could come down some. I asked what was the lowest he could take for it, $1250 the guy says. Needless to say it is still sitting in his driveway. I'm still looking for one and there are a couple of others around here for sale. So thanks again for all the help.

20. incogrhino

incogrhino

Yep, looks rough.

You'll find one.If you can get the 4 speed tranny and 2f motor.

The 4 speed started in 75' I believe and 76' for the 2f. Good luck