Should I be concerned about this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed this possible small leak that I think is coming from around the front crank pulley, I will be taking it to my mechanic soon so he can have a look at it. I attached a screenshot from another thread that points the area where I think it may be leaking from. The lower oil pan is soaked with oil and there is a bunch of gunk on the front of the upper oil pan. It flows back (from driving) and stops at about where the engine meets the transmission. Any thoughts?

A360D345-DA3C-434F-9ACA-EB8DD989B29D.png

19FFD997-82DE-488A-A8F3-09F90201C1FA.png

Can always check that those bolts are tight (for free) and also check that that is the source, wipe it all of and trace where it's coming from. More common on these for the valve covers to leak and show up lower.

It’s a 2004 LX470 with the 2UZ-FE by the way

Can always check that those bolts are tight (for free) and also check that that is the source, wipe it all off and trace where it's coming from. More common on these for the valve covers to leak and show up lower.
Is there an easy way to check the valve covers visually?

Depending on where you live, you can just call it free(ish) rust inhibitor:hillbilly:

My personal thought is that if you don't need to go in there for something, else, you'll end up spending a lot of money (or time for DIY) in order to save $10 of oil every 5k.

If you need to do a timing belt anyway, then go for it.

As mentioned already, check the easy stuff first and make sure everything is snug.

Depending on where you live, you can just call it free(ish) rust inhibitor:hillbilly:

My personal thought is that if you don't need to go in there for something, else, you'll end up spending a lot of money (or time for DIY) in order to save $10 of oil every 5k.

If you need to do a timing belt anyway, then go for it.

As mentioned already, check the easy stuff first and make sure everything is snug.
Since my mechanic said they can do a diagnostic for free I am going to have it diagnosed because I think it may have lost a significant amount of oil overnight. Not sure though but will report back

Since my mechanic said they can do a diagnostic for free I am going to have it diagnosed because I think it may have lost a significant amount of oil overnight. Not sure though but will report back
Can't really tell with those pictures what is going on. Go with the advice you posted above from 2001LC.

As with any leak, you first need to degrease and clean it all up, top off fluids, and monitor it.
>> Remove skid plate. Get a can of degreaser, spray it on from below ( try to avoid alternator and electronics ) soft nylon brush for cleaning deposits and then hose it all down.

You asked about valve covers, yes they are easy to inspect. Remove the engine cover with the (4) 10mm bolts/nuts and take a look for oil around the valve cover gaskets.

Otherwise , when is the last time you did timing belt job? May be time to get it done and replace that crank seal if you do indeed find that to be the source of the leak.

Last edited:
The only way that you can lose a significant amount of oil overnight is if there is a puddle under the truck in the morning.

Also, there are very few mechanics that will conduct a "free" diagnostic and find nothing wrong. They will almost certainly tell that it needs to be repaired immediately. The advice above is spot on.

Can't really tell with those pictures what is going on. Go with the advice you posted above from 2001LC.

As with any leak, you first need to degrease and clean it all up, top off fluids, and monitor it.

You asked about valve covers, yes they are easy to inspect. Remove the engine cover with the (4) 10mm bolts/nuts and take a look for oil around the valve cover gaskets.

Otherwise , when is the last time you did timing belt job? May be time to get it done and replace that crank seal if you do indeed find that to be the source of the leak.
I just bought it but the records and previous owner say that the timing belt has 40k left on it (done at 215,365 and vehicle has about 278,850

>> Remove skid plate. Get a can of degreaser, spray it on from below ( try to avoid alternator and electronics ) soft nylon brush for cleaning deposits and then hose it all down.

Thanks

I just bought it but the records and previous owner say that the timing belt has 40k left on it (done at 215,365 and vehicle has about 278,850
Well thats good to know. Maybe clean it off, top off fluid, and ride it out for a while and get this done on your next belt change, if it is the crank seal.

I brought my truck to Toyota for the timing belt and learned the hard way that they don't change idlers, crank seals, or other parts that should be changed while your in there unless you tell them.

before you dig into anything deeper. check the 1) dipstick seal, 2) valve cover seal first. They are known to be leaked when aged

Start by pressure washing everything. A little engine degreaser and some time at the car wash you can get it cleaned up. Then "you" can see where the leak is coming from.

Jim

Update: Just tightened the front bolts on the upper oil pan, degreased, pressure washed and then put some UV leak dye into it and looked at it, I'm pretty sure it's leaking from the upper oil pan. The previous owner did say the fluids were recently changed so I wonder if they removed the upper oil pan recently and when they put it back if they just didn't do it correctly. Going to check it tomorrow to see how bad it gets. I will probably have to see how to take off the upper oil pan myself and redo it, if it's too much work I can probably have my brother or the mechanic do it. Thanks guys ;)

Update: Just tightened the front bolts on the upper oil pan, degreased, pressure washed and then put some UV leak dye into it and looked at it, I'm pretty sure it's leaking from the upper oil pan. The previous owner did say the fluids were recently changed so I wonder if they removed the upper oil pan recently and when they put it back if they just didn't do it correctly. Going to check it tomorrow to see how bad it gets. I will probably have to see how to take off the upper oil pan myself and redo it, if it's too much work I can probably have my brother or the mechanic do it. Thanks guys ;)
No. it can hardly be the upper oil pan.

Please do check the dipstick tube o-ring. I have 90% sure it will be the problem. not upper oil pan.

To specify, are you calling the crankcase the upper oil pan? Or are you mistakenly calling the valve covers the upper oil pan? Just an extra note, valve covers can be visually inspected from the wheel wells.

I would consider taking a day to not mess around with tightening or changing things until you can inspect where the marking dye is coming out. You will know much more then than is being speculated right now by us with old pictures and not enough info.

No. it can hardly be the upper oil pan.

Please do check the dipstick tube o-ring. I have 90% sure it will be the problem. not upper oil pan.
I just checked the dipstick tube where it connects to the engine and it is very dirty and wet looking in that area (sorry no pictures). It looks pretty easy to remove so it may be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom