Should gas come out from here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spent this week cleaning up the engine bay. While I was cleaning the throttle linkage I noticed that toggling the throttle lever caused some gas to leak out from the opening for the primary throttle shaft. I included some pictures below. Is this normal? I last drove the truck on Sunday so it has been sitting for a few days. Engine was off when this leakage was noticed.

fullsizeoutput_7d58.jpeg

My personal opinion is that this is normal on our old carbs. I’m not worried about mine.

Also, it won't come out there with the engine running given the air flow and engine vacuum.
But it can be a source of a vacuum leak if it's worn enough.

Is it running rich? Other carb issues? Seems like it wouldn't leak there unless there was excess fuel going down the throat.

But it can be a source of a vacuum leak if it's worn enough.

Is it running rich? Other carb issues? Seems like it wouldn't leak there unless there was excess fuel going down the throat.
The OP pumped the accelerator piston linkage with the engine off. Capillary action would likely have the same result on most carbs.

After my carb rebuild I was told this was normal by @FJ40Jim .

"That is the primary throttle shaft. There is no seal or bushing there. Fuel is sprayed down on top of it when driving. After the engine is shut off, the last dribble of fuel that didn't get sucked in the engine will tend to wick out along the shaft."

Thank you to all of you for the help.

I have been chasing what must be a small vacuum leak. I am having to run the engine with the choked pulled out a little bit--not much. If I completely open the choke my RPMs drop to around 450. She will still run but just barely. I also think it is a vacuum leak because my vacuum gauge reads right around 16 (measured at the brake booster hose) but the needle flickers a little bit. My understanding is the needle should be completely steady. I have adjusted the valves and timing with no favorable result.

So, that being said, I was wondering what @pjohnson said--could there be a vacuum leak there? Easy enough to find out when I run her next--I'll spray some carb cleaner there. Given what FJ40Jim told @bulldog77, I already know the answer--there won't be one there so my search will likely continue for that damn leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom