should 91 or 92 80 series even be considered (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have tought for some time that and early 80 is the ultimate builder. You can find them dirt cheap, and the torque band of the F series motors just can't be beat off road. For on road, I wouldn't really consider an early one. The power deficit is too great.

I think Lowtide is on to something with using a split case, which would allow you to use a Marlin Crawler-thiank about that!!!

I am looking around for a driver for my son, and even though I want a minitruck, an early 80 in good shape for cheap is on my list.

I have (sorta) a '91 and have (really) a '92. The '91 was used as a farm truck and never got any love. It got regualr oil changes and that was it. Ran like a tank all the way 50 into a pond (wasn't deep, bow wave got it).

I have a '92 as my DD. Running 33's, loaded heavy, stock gearing, it does pretty decent on the interstates. Pedal to the floor, but it can maintain 70+ mph on all but the steepest grades. I wouldn't mind more power, but if you put your foot into it, these have enough.

Eventually I will get a newer 80 or 100 series for those long trips without wheeling, but for around town, mild trips, and any kind of wheeling, the only thing a newer one has that I wish I had are the lockers. And for around $700, I can get an Aussie locker installed in the rear and will probably be able to go just about anywhere most on here fully locked would go.

I have a 1991 with 165k that runs like a top for 2300 bucks. Its missing the flares and has a couple dents but has the sunroof, air, 33" bfg ATs but it has new exhaust, o2 sensors and makes a great driver/wheeler.

Grench said:
'92 likes to drive at 65-70.
'96 likes to drive at 75-80.

If money is more important than time, get a '92. I had no reliability issues with the '92 we had. We now have 2 '96s for the additional power, comfort & looks (newer).

The '92 had several things I miss. More comfortable seats. The clock with timer & alarm. The front cupholder that would actually hold a McD's medium soda. That countertop dash on the PS where you can put the nachos. Cloth seats seem more appropriate than polished leather.

YMMV.

I am a fan of the 3FE and run it for hours and hours on the highway....its seems to like about 82mph on the highway..

I am in process of fitting an h55/split case behind my 80 series 3fe...

I will say that I bought a proper tuned 3fe off of Dan Kunz with all Toyota upkeep. Its is rather quick truck. I think part of the problem is that they are getting old and need some TLC..Another one is the kick down calbe out of adjustment. Seems like most of the 3fe's ive been in the kick down is out of adjustment. And rather new for the 3fe is a desmog, Spook50 has a good right up on it.

alkaline747trio said:
DJ, tryin to sell?
Yea I bought a trailblazer for the wife to drive. Seats eight cruises at 75mph and gets 19mpg. Definatly not the wheeler the 80 is but works better for all around use for us as we tow alot and do alot of freeway driving. I also have my scout that is trail built with 39.5 iroks, lockers, full cage, doubler, and all the goodies so it doesn't make sense to have it. It sits alot and it is fun to load up the gang and go camping and hunting but I can't justify the insurance and feel like I'm wasting it as it is such a sound rig now. I have a little commuter car that gets 40mpg plus so it can't really fill that role either. I may keep it if noone shows interest and use it to drive to work this winter.

Dont bother with a 91 or 92 unless you get a really good deal on it. You'll probably like a 91 or 92 but I'd bet that you will be looking to trade up soon after (almost everyone does).

TiredIronGRB said:
Not me, I want another white '91 as a spare.

I here that I picked up another 3fe.....Now I got 3 of them....they are awesome engines..with a huge following on the net.

The early motor was built like a tractor engine :D . It is slower :crybaby: but virtually unbrakeable although this will not concern you from what you have said but it will run better on crappy fuel from drums and is less of a problem in hard conditions in the bush. The later motors are better for highway cruising for sure but cost more to maintain.Also if you need to rebuild the motor the early one is much cheaper to rebuild. Pick the truck in your price range that has been maintained the best and forget the bling it will soon fade, repair bills wont.LOL. My old 90 model ,barn doors,part time 4Wd ,reserve tank etc.Tough choices goodluck.:cheers:
Picswithkirk5-5-06301.jpg

Picswithkirk5-5-06241.jpg

I got a 91 for sale. Nice rig with lots of new stuff. I've been trying to get it on Ebay but they are down for maint. It goes on Sat. $3000 reserve. It's red too.

lowtideride said:
I here that I picked up another 3fe.....Now I got 3 of them....they are awesome engines..with a huge following on the net.

They are great engines but just low on power for such a heavy vehicle. What mods are available to keep the reliability while improving power enough to keep up with the 4.5?

kennyv0826 said:
They are great engines but just low on power for such a heavy vehicle. What mods are available to keep the reliability while improving power enough to keep up with the 4.5?

I never said anything about keeping up " racing the 1fz" ...there is a a lot of little tweeks that make a good difference in the end. advance timing, desmogging, ehaust,etc etc...

I think it just depends on the person, its a bit more reliable and a bit slower....I rather have the slower. Plus I am a 60 series guy and doing 80mph in my 3fed 80 makes me plenty happy.

I understand, they are def very reliable engines. What is the difference in fuel mileage between the two motors?

an in tune 3fe should hover around 15...or at least my rig does. Now in the city, lower.

I know my 2f gets better gas milage but is slower and a lower reving engine.

The best vehicle I have ever had. It won't die..... I keep up with everything on the trail, I don't care on the freeway(speedways).

lowtideride said:
I will say that I bought a proper tuned 3fe off of Dan Kunz with all Toyota upkeep. Its is rather quick truck. I

3FE Powa!!!

that rig was the fastest 3FE I have seen. The only difference was that I replaced all that rubber and took generally good care of it.

Generally speaking, 3FE vs 1FZE to a used car dealer is like locked vs unlocked... they have no clue. Most owneres that aren't on this list even know there is a difference, nor do they know the 80's have two types of engines.
The 91 and 92 models are cheaper because they are older, the 93 and 94 models are cheaper than the 96 and 97 models.
The TLCA community is generally the only people who really know there is a difference. Am I right?

Off topic:
Dan, 9 more days...

TiredIronGRB said:
Exactly, most of the people I know with locked 80s have no idea what the knob is for.

Tired,
Please bring that beast you call a 91 to the Southern Cruiser Crawl. I'd love to see that thing in action... in particular follow you through the canyon trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom