1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should 91 or 92 80 series even be considered

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cruiserbent, Aug 22, 2006.

1. cruiserbent

cruiserbent

hey guys,
    I'm wearing myself out looking at cruisers.Looks like 93-97s for 80s are the best,but what 91-92?I know the 93-97s have more pwr,locking diffs & the like.Honestly though I probably wouldn't be off road-hard core-much to speak of.I just dig em.Also like the FJ62s a lot.The 91-92s seem to be a bit less expensive.Are they as reliable?Would they make an OK daily driver & occasional road trip with a load of Boy Scouts?Actually I wrk at a dealer & drive a demo so my personal rig only sees 2000-3000 miles a year.We are just not in an area with many cruisers.

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

For the right price, I'd drive slower.

-Spike

3. cruiserbent

cruiserbent

whats the right price range-i'm not real scared of mileage,after all i wrk at a dealer-parts 10% over cost,can use the shop anytime needed.

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

To me? Under $3k.

-Spike

5. cruiserbent

cruiserbent

where ya gonna find that,i hear 93-95 can be found in the 5000-$6000 range,i've been checking the auto trader regular,they are out there-way out there from here-most have over 200k miles-not scared of some high miles but thats pushin my comfort level-especially when the wife thinks i'm nuts anyway for even thinking of selling my 94 Z71-its only got 120k

6. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I picked up a very clean 91 with 200k for $4k on eBay. I love it, runs great plenty of torque, and doesn't leak a drop anywhere.

7. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

None of those are the right color;)

8. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I sold my 94 Chevy with less miles(94K) for our 94 FZJ80(100K) and never looked back, I know its not much but I have never thought I was in any danger of failure and its not a 91-92 FJ80 but it is still a landcruiser I would always suggest getting the one with the best record not the best color...But thats me.
    I didnt pay attention, Where are you located?
    There is a HUGE following for the 3FE online, Do a search and ye shall find.
    Never mind....
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/
    Good luck

9. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    It is all about what constitues value to YOU.

There is no reason not to consider them, IMO. They are every bit as reliable as an FZJ-80, mileage for mileage. You could make an argument that with an iron head and no PHH, they are better. My FZ does not have a PHH anymore and I have a HG set in my garage waiting for the right time!

Some would not consider them because they think even an FZJ-80 underpowered.

10. Sackman

Sackman

Media:
    Albums:
  11. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Remember the KnightRider!

Media:
    Albums:
    The 3FE in the 91-92 does have less power but f-it. If you find a nice one at a good price go for it. Hell, you work at a dealer so parts are right there. I've also heard in various post here that some believe the 3FE to be more reliable and easier to work on if they are maintained than the 1FZE. There is less computer stuff to go south on the 3FE.

12. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a 91 and loved it...lowtideride and his lovely lady are enjoying it now in Florida. In fairness, they have fewer hills :)

I am getting a 96 in a few weeks, will let you know what I think!

13. Teebag

Teebag

Albums:
    Why not - they go! 91 3F
    [​IMG]

14. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  15. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Remember the KnightRider!

Media:
    Albums:

The ad says it has an airbag. Were airbags an option for 94's. I thought they didn't do airbags until 95.

16. g8mfzj80

g8mfzj80

Having owned both a 92’ and now a 94’ I would consider either but prefer the 94’ for road trips or hauling people around on the highway.

On the trail or around town there both great rigs but once your on the highway, climbing grades going to the mountains, caring people around the 3FE struggles to keep up.

17. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

'92 likes to drive at 65-70.
    '96 likes to drive at 75-80.

If money is more important than time, get a '92. I had no reliability issues with the '92 we had. We now have 2 '96s for the additional power, comfort & looks (newer).

The '92 had several things I miss. More comfortable seats. The clock with timer & alarm. The front cupholder that would actually hold a McD's medium soda. That countertop dash on the PS where you can put the nachos. Cloth seats seem more appropriate than polished leather.

YMMV.

18. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

I've had both.

I like the 94s power and braking better. I liked working on the 91 better. I like that my 94 has F/R lockers. Adding the rear ARB to the 91 was expensive and consider adding that to your purchase price and then the FZJs even though typically more expensive might seem to be a better value.

Both of mine had the same console as both have/had cloth. Interior wise they are laid out identically.

Lots of weight (towing or lots of people or gear) and higher speeds the FZJ is the way to go. The FZJ is still a slug compared to a real tow rig.

Mileage is about the same in both. In stock form my 94 did much better. Now that it has 315s it is about the same as my 91 with 35s.

19. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">