Shotts' Lexus now with Slee 6" lift (details): (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=136283&page=3 post #71 shows my front bumper and a good example of why it is the way it is, along with the back one. At some point, after I buy a removeable winch, there will be a bar on top of what's there now that wraps around the sides under the fenders to protect the A/C drier.

-Spike

its schotts thread so i dont want to argue here....

BUT,

I like the concept, its a great thought, I was broke as a joke and wheeled with J's Spacers, no bumpers and 35's and i beat the s*** out of my front fenders and my rear quarters. its just so blaringly obvious that your bumpers dont do really anything. all 4 corners on your rig are grossly unprotected. Its only a matter of time before you end up propped up against a rock and wont have an option but to take some body damage. your on hard trails its going to happen. i know the winch idea is great too but have you carried a winch, even with synthetic on a trail with uneven obstacles, when your stuck or actually needing it, your in a s***ty postion, i dont want to be lugging around a winch...

I am not saying arb's are perfect. i have clearanced mine and am going to synthetic rope, for safety and clearance. BUt i wouldnt want to chance not having protection. the trade offs are not worth it in my opinion.

its schotts thread so i dont want to argue here....

It's OK....my truck is done so my thread is dead. :D

And yes...Spike doesn't have bumper or slider protection yet. That's OK, its; his rig.

I think he began to quote you because of your comments about my bumpers. My bumpers are FAR stronger than the ARB bumpers that move on their mounts and dent easily. Topping that is the fact that my bumpers rarely ever touch a thing because of the design. Both my 80's were protected very well. Aftermarket bumps look better and hold accessories though are light-duty in comparison.

Both my 80's were protected very well. Aftermarket bumps look better and hold accessories though are light-duty in comparison.

sorry i disagree. i dont think they "protect" very well... the only aftermarket bumers i have seen really get thrashed were the TJM. If you really hit an arb you can bend a wing, but if your hitting a wing that hard how are you not ever hitting your truck with the way yours is set up? are slees weak? if all your stuff is made our of 1/2 inch steel then its over kill....

sorry i disagree. i dont think they "protect" very well... the only aftermarket bumers i have seen really get thrashed were the TJM. If you really hit an arb you can bend a wing, but if your hitting a wing that hard how are you not ever hitting your truck with the way yours is set up? are slees weak? if all your stuff is made our of 1/2 inch steel then its over kill....

Respectfully disagree....and that's OK. There's one disadvantage of my bumpers....because they are so strong, in a high speed collision, you risk bending of the frame. Again, you'll not hurt the bumpers. They are going nowhere. The steel used on any aftermarket bumper is lighter duty and will dent, crumble, and the like. Respectfully, a TJM bumper is carboard (just like my ARB is on my 100) compared to my 3/8" steel plate. They are not close.

That said...the ARB and TJM are probably safer in an accident. My 80's though were dedicated trail rigs that drive to the trail and back....not everyday use. I figure the risk is minimal compared to the huge gains on the trail.

then its over kill....

Forgot......

And yes....these bumpers are overkill. But they serve their purpose very well.

An example would be this optional climb on Fins. Where the 40 was, several 80's tried though never made it. They just hung on their Slee, stock, Kaymar, whatever bumpers. I guarantee my '93 or my '97 would waltz right up.

25838082-L.jpg

Forgot......

An example would be this optional climb on Fins. Where the 40 was, several 80's tried though never made it. They just hung on their Slee, stock, Kaymar, whatever bumpers. I guarantee my '93 or my '97 would waltz right up.

But you never actually tried it???

But you never actually tried it???

I was there in the 100 (right side of pic) which is REALLY long. No chance.

I can't tell you how many times I longed for my '93 when I seen other 80's dragging and failing. I'll be back and in my '97. :)

I have a completely different outlook on body damage than 99% of 80-series owners.

My truck was built to run trails. I'm happy if the doors close and the windows are intact. My rockers will soon be replaced with .250 wall box steel, just so I don't have to bash them down with a sledge hammer and block of wood every 4th run or so. The bumper is there as a recovery point and a place to mount a winch, and to protect the soft underparts of the front of the truck- radiator, cooler, steering, and the like. Some of the places I've been, an ARB bumper would have been the reason I had to turn back or take the bypass. Granted, the 80 won't fit everywhere, but mine will fit in places yours can't, and that means I can go places you can't. Unfortunately, someone in a pickup will leave me behind in many places- there's no perfect vehicle. This one was built with the knowledge that the body would suffer, and it has. The minimalist bumper isn't for everyone, but to say it's worthless is naive. It all depends on your perspective.

-Spike

I have a completely different outlook on body damage than 99% of 80-series owners.

My truck was built to run trails. I'm happy if the doors close and the windows are intact. My rockers will soon be replaced with .250 wall box steel, just so I don't have to bash them down with a sledge hammer and block of wood every 4th run or so. The bumper is there as a recovery point and a place to mount a winch, and to protect the soft underparts of the front of the truck- radiator, cooler, steering, and the like. Some of the places I've been, an ARB bumper would have been the reason I had to turn back or take the bypass. Granted, the 80 won't fit everywhere, but mine will fit in places yours can't, and that means I can go places you can't. Unfortunately, someone in a pickup will leave me behind in many places- there's no perfect vehicle. This one was built with the knowledge that the body would suffer, and it has. The minimalist bumper isn't for everyone, but to say it's worthless is naive. It all depends on your perspective.

-Spike

Ben: You and I are different for sure. We made these beasts as aggressive as possible. It was easy for me as I have the blinged out 100 and just didn't want another blingmobile. You....you grabbed the 80 and went for it. It also sounds like you have other different than normal mods planned and I wish you luck in that.

-Spike

Bro,

I dont have issues with body damange. my rig has been on its side numerous times. i dont have a straight panel on my rig. my doors dont close straight and my windshield doesnt seal any more. Some dings and dents are cool, your front corner lenses will be toast... headlights are expensive even used, i have gone through 3 and 2 corner lenses ect.... at some point if you are going to wheel a full body rig it makes sense to protect it.

to schotts, that line on the 40 doesnt have to be taken straight on, go a slight angle. whats the diff....

Well, I have an update...not only did I do the 6" lift last week, I ordered 37" Iroks, longfields, and will be getting the rear chromolied tomorrow...

Oh, and I could make that line...if I make it out that way I will prove it :)

Well, I have an update...not only did I do the 6" lift last week, I ordered 37" Iroks, longfields, and will be getting the rear chromolied tomorrow...

DAMN IT! If 37's fit on the LX with the 6" lift AND it went into the garage......heaven! I'm jealous!

Heh, I've still got about 3 feet of headroom in my garage door opening. MWUAHAHAHA!

-Spike

I will so not fit into my garage. I need to rig up ATV winches to squat the springs down while I drive in :)

I paid $600 when building my house to increase the garage to 8 1/2 feet so I could do the 6" lift and 37's one day. No fun even if you manage to fit by a half inch because you'll leave something on the roof rack one day :grinpimp:

its a slippery slope!!!!we really need to meet up and wheel while i am still remotely in the midwest, thinking a sept trip through tennessse and North carolina are on the horizon.... You are basically where i am now, haventy chromo'ed the rears yet.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom