Shorted out alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Taking advantage of the quarantine break from school I decided to tackle some much needed maintenance on the truck (steering rack, pump, CVs, balljoints, valve cover gaskets etc.). While installing the power steering pump, I accidentally touched the alternator with my wrench causing some sparks (Didn't disconnect battery, rookie move I know). Didn't think much of it until I buttoned up the truck and tried to start. Battery was completely dead (no lights on dash or anything) which I thought was odd but not impossible as it had been on jackstands for a couple weeks. Tried to jumpstart and only got one "click", then immediate voltage drop upon further attempts. Put the battery on the charger for a while and gave it another attempt, it fired on the first try but died almost immediately along with battery power draining to the point where I had to wait an hour on the charger to try again. I tested the battery and it was fine, visibly checked all the fuses and they looked intact. Is there a possibility I damaged the alternator or alternator wiring to the point it doesn't function? Again there is extreme parasitic draw whenever I take the charger off... Going to try and poke around with the multimeter tomorrow just curious if anybody had any suggestions of where to start.

Put the battery on the charger for a while and gave it another attempt, it fired on the first try but died almost immediately along with battery power draining to the point where I had to wait an hour on the charger to try again.
I don't "think" it is possible to drain a fully charged battery that fast without something getting really hot or catching fire. =)

I would double check your battery (load test) or just use a known good battery. If that checks out, check all your battery cable connections.

I don't "think" it is possible to drain a fully charged battery that fast without something getting really hot or catching fire. =)

I would double check your battery (load test) or just use a known good battery. If that checks out, check all your battery cable connections.

Yep, luckily just ended up being the battery... Had me nervous for a minute. Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom