Short/Long Birfield length - snap ring groove too short on hub install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rossl

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm swapping parts in my '78 to newer since I'm looking to upgrade axle strength as long as I have things pulled apart. I thought I had things figured out, but in the last step of putting it all back together I'm coming up short for the birfield outer snap ring by about 1-2mm. The birfield is pulled completely out, but there just isn't enough room to put the snap ring on. Is there a length difference between the '78 wheel hub and the later hubs? My understanding was the main difference was the brake rotor, but I could be wrong. And the spindle should be same on all models.

I'm running Longfield axles, which should be the short birfield length. I'm running a stock '78 wheel hub and stock spindles, and trying to put on an Aisin HD locking hub.

Referencing this post:

It should be about 26-27mm to run a standard AISIN hub, and 35-36mm for the long body. I have about 25mm, which means the snap ring groove is just behind the locking hub gear and impossible to install.

Anyone know what might be going wrong?

Ok, a couple of additions - with the spindle bushing firmly against the birfield, I have 23.35mm between the end of the spindle and the snap ring. When I install the wheel hub, the edge if the spindle is just proud of the hub, but doesn't give me the distances mentioned above (26-27mm). It would imply the spindle should extend beyond the wheel hub when installed by 3-4mm.

Photo has the birfield pulled out showing the spindle snug up against the bushing. Does this measurement look right? If so, then the issue is with the wheel hub.

20201221_000201246_iOS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom