Short jump seat install into early tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve Abbott

SILVER Star
Threads
I am in the process of getting my '65 FJ40 ready for paint. As part of that process, I am installing a '78 rollbar and some short jump seats. My question is what is the best way to secure the jump seat bracket to the side of the tub. My assumption is that there is some sort of welded nut on the inside of the side rail on the newer 40's. Given that I don't have those nuts, what's the best way to get some nuts inside the side rail? Options I'm considering include 1) use a 10mm rivnut/nutsert (if I can find a tool that will do one that big) 2) drill a hole in the side of the rail big enough for a 10mm nut and tack it in place 3) cut a hole in the bottom of the rail and slide a small piece of flat stock with a nut welded on it up into the hole in the bottom of the rail. For those that have done this, what was your solution?

One last question. Should the jump seat be centered between the two rollbar uprights? I can't find a good picture but it looks like the jump seats might be installed closer to the main front hoop. Any measurements you guys can provide would be awesome!

Thanks!

jump seat.jpg

Last edited:
Steel Rivnut/nutcert would be my preferred option. I’m sure they would be centred, but my tub was too far gone to know.

I use those threaded inserts but the problem is when the insert comes loose from the sheet metal and spins while trying to remove the bolt, especially in a blind application like yours where you can't get a vise grip on it. These hex style ones may be better.

389351f7f85316edb48bf2fb7bdbeffb.thumb.jpg

Did you add the roll bar reinforcements in the fender well?

s-l1600.jpg

I use those threaded inserts but the problem is when the insert comes loose from the sheet metal and spins while trying to remove the bolt, especially in a blind application like yours where you can't get a vise grip on it. These hex style ones may be better.

389351f7f85316edb48bf2fb7bdbeffb.thumb.jpg

Did you add the roll bar reinforcements in the fender well?

s-l1600.jpg
I thought about adding a couple of small tack welds to prevent the nutserts from spinning in the future. I had planned to make my own reinforcements but I'm curious about the ones you posted about. Where can I find those? Thanks!

They are called half hex inserts, you can find them on amazon and other places. It appears they use the same rivnut tool just have to file the hole to get it hex shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom