Short in the electrical system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I purchased a 3/77 FJ40 about two years ago and have been working on it steadily for the past six months. It was not running when I purchased it and was missing carburetor and ignition parts as well as most of the smog components. It has also been sitting for twelve years. I have cleaned the gas tank, replaced all the rubber fuel lines and vacuum lines. I re-built the carburetor and installed a Pertronix electronic ignition, a new coil and replaced the plugs and wires.
The problem I am having now seems to be some kind of intermittent short in the electrical system. When I get power to the wire controlling the idle solenoid I am not getting power to the starter solenoid, when the starter is working properly the wire controlling the idle solenoid turns to a ground. I am using a LED circuit tester to trouble shoot. I have tried jumping the idle solenoid to the battery but the will start but wont idle.
Any advice on what to try next will be greatly appreciated.
fj1.jpg
fj2.jpg
fj3.jpg

Intermittent short in the electrical system

Hi all, I purchased a 3/77 FJ40 about two years ago and have been working on it steadily for the past six months. It was not running when I purchased it and was missing carburetor and ignition parts as well as most of the smog components. It has also been sitting for twelve years. I have cleaned the gas tank, replaced all the rubber fuel lines and vacuum lines. I re-built the carburetor and installed a Pertronix electronic ignition, a new coil and replaced the plugs and wires.
The problem I am having now seems to be some kind of intermittent short in the electrical system. When I get power to the wire controlling the idle solenoid I am not getting power to the starter solenoid, when the starter is working properly the wire controlling the idle solenoid turns to a ground. I am using a LED circuit tester to trouble shoot. I have tried jumping the idle solenoid to the battery, the truck will start but won’t idle.
Any advice on what to try next will be greatly appreciated.

Your text color sucks.

LED circuit testers can fool you becuase they can't tell how much current is flowing or whether there is a voltage drop on the circuit. Anytime you get wierd results that you can't explain like that suspect a bad ground, like the ground strap between the engine block and the frame.

Thanks Pin Head,
I grounded the battery to the block and ran a 4 GA cable from the block to the frame using one of the bolts for the alternator bracket. Still no luck, the idle solenoid won’t function. Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom