short bus vs. ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to make a final decision on bumper selection. I am leaning on the short bus.

As far as crash protection is concerned, do you think the short bus bumper is as durable as the ARB. I'm sure we have all seen the photos of the crashed 80 with the ARB.

Also, what other companies are out there that make bumpers for these things. I like tubular bumpers, but can't seem to find any.

More info- Vehicle is a daily driver. When I say crash, I mean with other vehicles, not animals. I don't offroad too often, I'm mostly on the road.

Last edited:
TJM makes a bumper for the 80!

I like the bottom part of the TJM bumper but prefer the ARB design regarding the over all look of th grill guard! Does that make sense?

I think you'd be more protected with the ARB when it comes to fender benders, deer, kangaroos, etc. But the Short bus has a better approach angle and it looks damn good.

I think you'd be more protected with the ARB when it comes to fender benders, deer, kangaroos, etc. But the Short bus has a better approach angle and it looks damn good.

X2

We hit a deer at 70 in my wifes 80 with the ARB on and no damage whatsoever. Now with the Short Bus, that deer would have been in the front end and cause damage.

I would choose for what your main uses would be...if no deer or roo's in your area, then Slee. Or just add to the Slee.

The short bus looks way better and has some cool factor. The ARB is about $150 less give or take. I believe that the short bus is narrower, so if you plan on removing your flares it will look cleaner.

Also note that the ARB has a slight change in design too. I personally like the new design.

If money isn't an option, I think I would go with the Slee.
I went with an ARB, and although I like it, I remember thinking when I installed it, that it was flimsy compaired to the older ARB's. The metal bumper section on the ARB is 1/8" steel, where the Shortbus is 3/16". I would like to have the Slee with the bar protection of the ARB - best of both worlds.

I went with ARB for total front end protection from deer, etc.... Short bus looks great, but seems more suited for the hardcore off road.

I have the shortbus and in all honestly, I don't know which way I'd go if I had to do over again. I think the shortbus is lighter, easier to install (winch can be installed sperately), thicker material, better tow hooks, looks cleaner, better approach angle, better upright winch mount.

The ARB can carry bigger winches and has better lower area (power steering lines and AC drier) protection (I think) and much better grill, headlight and hood protection.

IMO, I think the Slee would be better for a city and daily driver rig and also a rig that wants a good winch bumper, while keeping a lower profile. And of course, a hardcore rig where approach angle is important.

I think for an overland expedition style rig where a lot of time is spent on out on the fireroads, desert, or open road and where animal strikes is a concern, I'd go with the ARB.

Which means I probably have the wrong bumper for my application, but I still like my shortbus a lot.

I think you should go with the shortbus! I think it looks pretty bad ass!

Slee makes great products. But they are mainly for the real offroad world. The benifts to the shortbus are all for the hardcore guy that needs to climb that 3 foot waterfall. Or stay out of the way of those 37's...

Which is awesome.

The ARB has more real world benifts. It is set up for on road and off- road usage. Grill protection against deer, air bag usage,(I'm not sure if slee has this), beef to take a head on hit and overall looks.

You will be happy with either. If you see yourself on that black diamond trail with the crazy slickrock waterfall then maybe a slee is right. If you see yourself camping with the family and exploring the mild to wild trails in your area and the roads in between then go ARB.

My ARB mounted up in about 32 minutes. I'm not sure about the slee.

If I had to choose between the two, it would be Slee's bumper all the way... but I wheel a lot differnt than most people. (Except Nay... He likes to copy me. :flipoff2:) It all depends on what your using it for. As for me, you couldn't make me run an ARB bumper... I would be so ticked by the lack of approach angle!

The ARB has more real world benifts. It is set up for on road and off- road usage. Grill protection against deer, air bag usage,(I'm not sure if slee has this), beef to take a head on hit and overall looks.

AFIK only the TJM-T15 is airbag certified for the 80's unless ARB has lately upgraded their 80's last batch to comply airbag certification requirements.

I went short bus, and air freighted one out here, and kangaroo's etc can be an issue on the road, but with bigger tyres and lift, I find animals more prone to go under the vehicle, than standard height.

I like the fact the whole short bus bar is closer to the body, improves approach angle, and is less prone to hit things than the short bus, and I dont think, looking at them, that there is any discernable difference in strength between the 2 in an accident.

This is an interesting post. The new vs. the old. The ARB is the old standby with the history to back it up. The ShortBus is the new kid on the block -- young, good looking, lightweight -- but not as much history.

I keep going back and forth on which one to get. I'm sold on the ShortBus looks and weight. I don't see any deer/kangaroos in my future, but I am concerned about mustangs/explorers on the city roads. So, I go back to the ARB. Arrgh. I need to stop thinking and start buying. Analysis paralysis.

I'm back on the ShortBus.

When I got the ARB, the "short bus" was not in the picture. One of my friends has one installed, and I really think it looks great. The best part though, is the excellent recovery points. They are really stout and beefy. The worst part, is that it fits only a limited number of winches.

I'd say nod to short bus in California style wheeling.

I like my ARB (it was on there when I bought it) but Id trade for the shortbus in a heartbeat for all the mentioned reasons. I agree the Slee looks better but thats a silly reason to buy one bumper vs. another. Each to his own though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom