Shops that will do a de-smog?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85roktoy

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm thinking about doing a de-smog to my 78. Anybody know of any trusted shops that could do this the correct way?? I contacted urban landcruisers and 4x4customs.

I would do it myself but I don't want to hook anything up the wrong way. Maybe one of you fine fellas could help me in exchange for some :beer: :beer: :beer: maybe??? :D

If it were me I would send my carb and dizzy to JimC in Ohio for a rebuild and recurve, then remove all the smog stuff and plug the air rail intake holes. You could either remove the smog pump, or get an idler pulley from Jim as well. He has everything you need if you want to do it yourself. It's not bad to do it yourself, the difficult part is plugging the ports for the EGR pipe. Either weld in some solid stock or replace the manifold with headers. A desmog is a good time to do a full retune on your ignition/fuel system. It's hard for me to see the benefits of doing one without the other, unless your smog stuff is shot, I would leave it alone until you can do everything the right way.

Jeremy

Wes why are you considering a de-smog??
Well, I noticed the other day that my smog pump was not hooked up and I'm sure some of the vac lines are probably cracked and hooked up in the wrong spots. I just figured it would make it run better. Not sure though. I'm still researching it. Seems to be more $ and work than I can afford at the moment. I def want it to be done right and that would involve a carb rebuild from Jim C with a few other things. I was under the impression it was a remove and plug job.

Well, I noticed the other day that my smog pump was not hooked up and I'm sure some of the vac lines are probably cracked and hooked up in the wrong spots. I just figured it would make it run better. Not sure though. I'm still researching it. Seems to be more $ and work than I can afford at the moment. I def want it to be done right and that would involve a carb rebuild from Jim C with a few other things. I was under the impression it was a remove and plug job.

well if it is already in somewhat fubar state them finishing up the job wouldn't be a bad idea........ I was just going to recommend if it was all there and working fine just to leave it be

now if you wouldn't have just bought a FJ40 from the 60's you wouldn't have to worry about that silly smog crap :grinpimp:

well if it is already in somewhat fubar state them finishing up the job wouldn't be a bad idea........ I was just going to recommend if it was all there and working fine just to leave it be

now if you wouldn't have just bought a FJ40 from the 60's you wouldn't have to worry about that silly smog crap :grinpimp:
Very true! Probably wouldn't take much to get it working correctly again though.

Not that it matters to me, Lord knows I have de-smogged numerous trucks and installed non-compliant engines. That being said, I doubt you will find any bone-fide shops who would do a de-smog, as it is in violation of federal law. Sounds like a Hammon to me......

A out of tune FJ40 will put out far more crap than a good running, correctly "de-smoged" truck ever will. That doesn't mean it is technicaly legal but if you have no emissions checks or visual inspections (like GA) it isnt an issue in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom