Shopping for the LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am still trying to find a good LX. I am looking for a long term keeper. I have found a good single owner 2009 LX that has a good service history. It also has a few unusual repairs so I wanted to see what you guys thought about these items. This all happened in the first 100k miles. The brake issue was in the last 1000 miles.

Carfax says it was in an accident. The next service included this:
  • Lower control arm(s) replaced
  • Control arm(s) replaced
  • Thrust angle alignment performed
  • Front axle(s) replaced/repaired
  • Steering gear replaced
  • Power steering pump replaced

17k miles later another control arm replacement.

• Vehicle serviced
    • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Tire condition and pressure checked
    • Four wheel alignment performed
    • Two tires mounted
    • Two tires replaced
    • Rear brake rotor(s) resurfaced
    • Lower control arm(s) replaced
    • One tire replaced
    • Rear brakes serviced/adjusted
    • Air filter checked
    • Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
    • Battery/charging system checked

SERVICE: FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER 1-SD
DESCRIPTION: ~|~TECH FOUND LR SHOCK LEAKING ~|~STEERING OR SUSPENSION ISSUE REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPLACED LR SHOCK

SERVICE: CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET
DESCRIPTION: ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION VALVE COVER GASKETS-- LEAKING ~|~FLUID LEAK REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPLACED VALVE COVER GASKETS

SERVICE: OTHERS
DESCRIPTION: ~|~TECH FOUND FLUID LEAK ON VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~RIGHT CYLINDER HEAD CAM BOX INSUFFICIENT SEALANT ON MATING SURFACE ~|~LEAKING OIL BETWEEN RIGHT CAM BOX AND CYLINDER HEAD MATING SURFACE. R&R RIGHT SIDE VALVE COVER, CAMSHAFTS, AND CAM BOX. CLEAN AND RESEAL CAM BOX TO CYLINDER HEAD

DESCRIPTION: ~|~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON CHECK OUT ALL ECM CODES CHECK OUT SYSTEM ~|~VACUUM PUMP FOR EVAP IS LOCKED UP SETTING CODE P043E, P043F, P0456 AND P2401 ~|~NEEDS NEW EVAP CANISTER, GAVE ESTIMATE FOR REPAIR.

DESCRIPTION: ~|~BASED ON PREVIOUS RO CUSTOMER HAS RETURNED TO REPLACE THE VACUUM PUMP THAT IS THROWING MULTIPLE EVAP CODES AND CEL LIGHT ~|~EVAP CODES ~|~REPLACED CANISTER AND PASSED ALL SELF TEST

SERVICE: SUSPNSN L.ARM 1-SD W/O B.JNT
DESCRIPTION: ~|~FRONT CONTROL ARM IS SEIZED UP ~|~CANNOT ADJUST THE LOWER CONTROL ARM ON RIGHT FRONT. BOLTS SEIZED IN BUSHINGS. CASTER IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT AND VEHICLE PULLS TO THE LEFT ~|~REPLACED THE LOWER CONTROL ARM ON RIGHT HAND SIDE WITH NEW BOLTS. ADJUSTED THE CAMBER, CASTER, AND TOE ON THE FRONT END, RESET VGRS, AND TEST DROVE.

DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER STATES BRAKES DO NOT WORK CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~FOUND 50A ABS1 FUSE BLOWN CAUSING DTC'S TO SET FOR ABS SYSTEM. ATTEMPTED TO REPLACE FUSE AND IT BLEW IMMEDIATELY. DISCONNECTED BRAKE BOOSTER ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLED NEW FUSE AND FUSE DID NOT BLOW. TESTED VOLTAGE TO BOOSTER AND 12.4V WAS SEEN. TESTED RESIST ~|~REPLACED BOOSTER ASSEMBLY AND BLED SYSTEM. NO CODES OR LIGHTS AT THIS TIME. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND BRAKES OPERATED WITHOUT FAULT.

DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER STATES BRAKES DO NOT WORK CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~FOUND 50A ABS1 FUSE BLOWN CAUSING DTC'S TO SET FOR ABS SYSTEM. ATTEMPTED TO REPLACE FUSE AND IT BLEW IMMEDIATELY. DISCONNECTED BRAKE BOOSTER ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLED NEW FUSE AND FUSE DID NOT BLOW. TESTED VOLTAGE TO BOOSTER AND 12.4V WAS SEEN. TESTED RESIST ~|~REPLACED BOOSTER ASSEMBLY AND BLED SYSTEM. NO CODES OR LIGHTS AT THIS TIME. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND BRAKES OPERATED WITHOUT FAULT.

That sounds like too much for me but I have zero mechanical skills. If those suspension repairs are from the accident I would pass. Sounds like a pretty hard accident.

What’s the current mileage? If all that work happened 100k ago it’s less a concern than 5k ago.

I’d suggest you put it in a frame machine and see if it is straight.

For a long term keeper I’d suggest you keep looking unless you can verify decisively that the truck is straight and sound.

Just keep in mind that they (dealership) are in it to make money. 2nd opinion from a non franchise dealership could shed light on this. Buy it and enjoy

I appreciate that but I am definitely looking for a southern vehicle. TX-AL is the area I am trying to find a good example in.

Good luck with that. Honestly, since a decent LX is kind of hard to find you should expand your search area a bit. Then you can just fly out and have a nice roadtrip home.

See AZLX570's post above. Toyota ships around 7500 LX and Land Cruisers to the US market yearly...that's 1/10 of their small pickups as a reference.

I found wife's LX in Bend, OR. Drove with a neighbor ~ 400 miles to buy it and drive it home.

My Land Cruiser was an hour's flight away...left on an 0600 plane the day after it was posted for sale. I drove it home that night.

Good LX's sell quickly...narrowing your search area may indeed drive you nuts.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom