Shopping for a 2021 TRD Off Road. What to look for. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
My '00 F-150 Transmission (Only 140K miles) bought the farm so I'm in the market for a 2021 Taco.

What options would you get that you regret not getting?

Is the TRD Pro worth it ?

Is the TRD Pro Grill (With 'TOYOTA' spelled out, not the sombrero) an option for other models ?

Thanks for any input. I haven't bought a new vehicle in 21 years and all the fooking options are a bit headache inducing.

(I was holding out for a new Bronco, but, you know, F.... O... R... D... )

Last edited:
If you're not planning on modifying the truck and like leather seats then the Pro may be worth it to you. The TRD OR comes with the rear locker but not the fancy suspension of the Pro so if you're planning on a lift the OR might make more sense. The TRD Pro grill (and TSS radar cover, called a garnish by Toyota) can be had from any Toyota dealer and installed. There are cheap Chinese copies but they're cheap Chinese copies. The TRD Pro and Sport have the fake hood scoop. The OR does not. The scoop does take some getting used to but I don't notice it now.

I have a 2018 Pro which doesn't have the sunroof or electric seats. I've dealt with issues with both on my 80 so I wanted no part in either. 2019 and up have both as well as Apple/Android Auto if you're in to that stuff.

Definitely get the Toyota tailgate lock actuator and install it yourself. It's ~$130 and well made. It should have been standard from the factory. I also installed an aftermarket remote start (N2 Designs) which wasn't too expensive or hard to install. Press the lock button on the fob 3 times and it starts and runs for 15 minutes. The Toyota remote start requires a subscription which is stupid. I suppose being in LA you don't have much use for that though.

I like the Toyota OEM navigation head unit. I like to turn knobs for volume, not push buttons a bunch of times. I also try to avoid using Google for my directions whenever possible.

Excellent advice. I do plan a mild lift at some point so you're right, the extra for the Pro suspension would be a waste... Seems like the TRD double cab 4x4 (without scoop) is the right one for me... Then do the suspension upgrades later. I would prefer the access cab, but don't want the 6ft bed.

Remote start is nice for warming up the truck from the Living Room window! :)

Cheers!

FWIW: We bought a new 2021 TRD Pro over the OR for 2 reasons: 1) I didn't want to have to wrench on a new truck to make it "my own." and 2) If you like lots of bells & whistles like we do, if you add the options that come standard on the Pro to the OR, the prices are nearly the same, but then you won't get the Fox suspension, wheels and other goodies that make the Pro unique. The only option we got on our Pro was the remote locking tailgate--no other options needed as the Pro has it all. Bottom line is that it depends on what you want. BTW- the Pro has a 1" lift compared to the OR.

I will probably stay away from the TRD Pro for the main reason that I HATE Sun/Moon roofs... The Taco version may be flawless, but I've had nothing but headache from every Car or Truck I've owned that had one. Leaks. Noise. Motor failure ... Just a personal peeve, I guess. Other than that, I don't mind wrenching on a vehicle, particular if new and not rusty and a Toyota.. :)

I will probably stay away from the TRD Pro for the main reason that I HATE Sun/Moon roofs... The Taco version may be flawless, but I've had nothing but headache from every Car or Truck I've owned that had one. Leaks. Noise. Motor failure ... Just a personal peeve, I guess. Other than that, I don't mind wrenching on a vehicle, particular if new and not rusty and a Toyota.. :)

The TRD OR has the moonroof if you get the TRD Premium Off-Road Package (Double Cab A/T). It really just depends on what the dealer has in stock when you buy. When we bought our TRD OR DCSB which included the technology and premium package (leather, nav, heated seats, blind spot monitors, backup sensors, blah blah blah) it was still over 7k cheaper than the Pro to start and the dealer was willing to do incentives and negotiate with the price. They wouldn’t move on the price of the pros.

I would have loved to have gotten the access cab but some of the options the wife wanted were only available in the double. Just means the pups have more room in the back seat.

Also just as a note, the moonroof does get you more head room if that’s a concern.

Also just as a note, the moonroof does get you more head room if that’s a concern.

That's important info that I didn't know... I guess I'll have to test drive a bunch 😛 and see how they compare...

That's important info that I didn't know... I guess I'll have to test drive a bunch 😛 and see how they compare...
We had a non-moonroof version of the doublecab as a courtesy vehicle before buying our 2020 TRD OR Premium. The lack of moonroof would be a deal breaker for me after driving one without it. It’s like being in a low roofed cave. Very dark inside too. I know some people hate sun/moonroofs, but on these small trucks, they are a good thing.

I knew I was going to lift mine too, so the Pro would have been a waste of money. The OR Premium is a great package.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have the moonroof on my 2016 TRD OR DCSB with premium package. I’ve probably opened it 10 times in five years and 80K miles, and maybe pulled back the sunshade 10 more times. I’m 5’10” and have had 6’ friends drive it with no headroom issues. It has never leaked. The options and packaging are different now than in 2016, but one feature I’d avoid if one can on anew truck now, is the JBL audio. It doesn’t sound much better, and the big subwoofer and amp use up a lot of the behind the back seat storage. After 80K miles, the OEM Bilsteins are shot, but for moderate off-roading and washboard they were pretty good for a while, better than most OEM shocks though folks like to criticize them.

Can anyone with knowledge of paint chemistry (or just the know-how) tell me why a single stage paint (Tacoma in 'Super White') does not require a clear coat ?

Metallic or Pearlescent paint (on Tacos) does get a clear coat.

Last edited:
Its wonders are only surpassed by its mysteries.

Solid colors can often be applied as a single stage and retain great gloss and stability. Metallic or pearl paints and some brighter colors are better done as base/clear applications. The more stuff you add to a paint, the more difficult it is to apply properly. The more color, metal flake, etc etc the better it is to apply as a base/clear.

There is a reason I like white trucks.

PRO: Leather seats with seat warmers are nice in colder climates. LED headlights a super nice option.

I went with OR as Pro's are fetching $5K over invoice. Dealers sell those immediately with the "market adjustment"

I personally hate sunroofs. Super long torso, need all the headroom I can get. So OR model for me. (edit, accidentally wrote PRO, oops)

Autotrader helped as I wanted a DCLB. Toyota just directs you to local dealers, but they sell every OR or PRO they get their hands on so little incentive to order one.
I found two in Texas. Ended up in Colorado to buy mine.

Last edited:
I went with OR as Pro's are fetching $5K over invoice. Dealers sell those immediately with the "market adjustment"

I personally hate sunroofs. Super long torso, need all the headroom I can get. So PRO model for me.

Contradict yourself much? :doh:

I drove both sunroof and non-sunroof models. Sunroof models have more headroom unless you sit with your head way towards the door. I get why people didn’t like sunroofs in the older cars, but modern ones are pretty well sealed.

My '00 F-150 Transmission (Only 140K miles) bought the farm so I'm in the market for a 2021 Taco.

What options would you get that you regret not getting?

Is the TRD Pro worth it ?

Is the TRD Pro Grill (With 'TOYOTA' spelled out, not the sombrero) an option for other models ?

Thanks for any input. I haven't bought a new vehicle in 21 years and all the fooking options are a bit headache inducing.

(I was holding out for a new Bronco, but, you know, F.... O... R... D... )
I know you can do your own mods. I got a 2020 SR for $31k new. Only thing I miss is a locker.

SR-2.jpg

I keep reading articles about a possible diesel for the 2022 Taco... Cripes, more wait...

I don't think it will happen, but I'd trade up to a diesel.

Toyota just dropped this for the US market: (but prolly more likely in the Tundra) Question is why ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom