Shop recommendation: 1-HDT into 40 series w/ automatic transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got a BJ42, that I'd like to drop a 1-HDT into w/ automatic transmission.
I didn't think an automatic transmission could fit, yet after seeing this shop in Japan do it... I'd like to find a competent shop here in the US that could do this swap for me.

Here's the video in case you want to see

Please recommend the top shops you think that could handle this.. and I'll make contact

many thanks

Yeah, the by the time you're done, the rear driveshaft is going to be so damn short it may not even be usable. The 1HD-T will fit in the engine bay of your 40 but stuffing the rest of the drivetrain in there will be a major challenge.

you can make it work if are willing to move the rear axle back .. way back and that also means move on to coils and links .

Forget the A/T idea and rather go for the H55F.On 33" tyres the H55F and 1HD-T combo is sweeeet ...

Noob question. Why is a short rear drive shaft bad? I mean, if it's still turning the rear wheels, it's working, no??
Keep in mind, this vehicle would be a street daily driver, with very very light infrequent offroading.

thanks

Noob question. Why is a short rear drive shaft bad? I mean, if it's still turning the rear wheels, it's working, no??
Keep in mind, this vehicle would be a street daily driver, with very very light infrequent offroading.

thanks

I think they were worried about the transmission being so long ,there would be no room left for a driveshaft. The other possible problem you can have that the closer the t/case output and the diff input ,the more extreme angle the driveshaft is going to be. If the diff and gearbox were on the same level ,it wouldn't be a problem

I think they were worried about the transmission being so long ,there would be no room left for a driveshaft. The other possible problem you can have that the closer the t/case output and the diff input ,the more extreme angle the driveshaft is going to be. If the diff and gearbox were on the same level ,it wouldn't be a problem
Exactly. A very long time ago, I ran a 16" rear driveshaft on my 40 before the truck was stretched significantly. That super short shaft worked, but it wasn't great by any means and also required the use of a CV joint on the transfer case side. Your idea would create an even shorter rear shaft, short to the point that it would be completely non-functional and impractical.

Ok, guys... thanks for the enlightenment! I did find a video, someone put in a newer toyota diesel engine with automatic transmission. V8. Can't remember which engine model.

It may depend on which auto and t/case you use. the older ones off the 60 and 70 series were shorter.

[

Ok, guys... thanks for the enlightenment! I did find a video, someone put in a newer toyota diesel engine with automatic transmission. V8. Can't remember which engine model.

A V8 diesel Toyota engine into a 40 series?

That's a petrol engine.
:deadhorse:

Remember the overall length of the v8 is less than an I6 which would mean the drive train could be put further first giving more tailshaft space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom