Shop manuals - waste of money?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by spartan, Jul 18, 2005.

1. spartan

spartan SILVER Star

I got around to ordering Haynes and Max Ellery shop manuals from Amazon.com last week. They arrived today and after looking through both of them kind of quick I'm thinking I wasted my money.

They get into alot of things like complete engine rebuilds that I'm not going to do and completely ignore some simple maintenance items and stuff that should be there like belt diagrams for instance.

Anybody else care to comment.....

2. Biff

Biff

Had a smiliar experience with a Haynes manual for my 88 tercel, should have just bought the FSM.

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Crap.

Get the FSM from CDan. It's the only way to go.

4. Kalawang

Kalawang

The FSM is not available to me and I make do with the Ellery. I consider it invaluable as too often I have no idea what the mechanic is talking about and need to look it up.

Kalawang

5. flintknapper

flintknapper

Nearly everyone here uses the FSM. I believe it is the most complete and accurate source of information for your Cruiser.

Additionally, if you have a question...other forum members can direct you to pages where you can find pertinent information (sort of the DIY bible), that way... we're all literally "on the same page" assuming year models correspond.

Any information such as engine rebuilds that are beyond your scope is still not wasted....if you ever need the work done..take the FSM to the shop or rebuilder for reference.

I prefer to wrench on my own vehicles as much as possible and intend to keep my Cruiser a long time. So the FSM is indispensable to me.

6. cruiserman

cruiserman

The Gregory's manual isn't bad, but the factory manual is the best.

7. speyrod

speyrod

FSM, other might be less $$ but you get what you pay for.

8. reffug

reffug

Definately get the FSM. No brainer.

9. santiagol

santiagol

The FSM is indispensable but I usually take a look at the Haynes manual also and sometimes get additional valuable infomation, a second opinion when the FSM is cut and dried - I would not say it is wasted money but definitely not a primary reference. And there are pretty pics.

I often use a "parts fiche on CD" that I got from eBay some time back, it is the same one the local dealer uses and is a great part number reference.

10. JZenger

JZenger

I have both the FSM and Haynes manual and I use both. The pictures in the Haynes manual are pretty helpful at times. Of course you can't beat the FSM for covering almost everything.

Joel

11. Heffenoche

Heffenoche

I have a Gregory for my FJ60 and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the Haynes but it's still a few step behing the FSM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.