Shop-damaged recirculation curtain during cabin filter replacement? (1 Viewer)

Was your climate control recirculation curtain damaged by your shop during a cabin filter change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to gather some data on the number of J200 owners on the forum that have had their climate control system, specifically the recirculation curtain, damaged by a dealer or shop when they replaced the cabin filter. Trying to understand the scope of the problem and whether lack of training is an issue.

my 200 was a CPO, purchased a year ago. after it got cold again in October, I had problem keeping the windows clear. after reading on Mud about the problem, i tested my door and realized the door would go into recirc fine, but wouldn't close for fresh. I showed it to the dealer along with the evidence on Mud that improper service would lead to this problem.

They took care of the issue and completely replaced my air box and blower assembly a few weeks ago under a combo of the CPO warranty and the extended plan I bought with the truck. they claim that toyota allows for 3.5 hours of labor, but they knew it was going to take the whole day. took about 6 hours. they did not have to pull the whole dash... the parts costs was $650 and the labor was $450, so I highly recommend people press their dealers on fixing this.

In my case, only they had touched it since I bought it as CPO - so they claim they should have caught, or they broke it - so they fixed it. they were 100% great to deal with on it, but I suspect it had a lot to do with the fact that I also have ToyotaCare extended warranty on the vehicle.

I now have a sticker on the door that says "System must be in Recirc prior to servicing filter" that I got from a member here on Mud.

I bought my 200 third hand used. It was broken when I got it, so I'm not sure exactly when it happened or who did it. Other than being unable to recirc when there are unpleasant smells outside the vehicle, it's really been a non-issue. I keep meaning to go in there and see if I can fix it (a few members have fixed theirs in different ways depending on what's broken), but it hasn't made it to the top of the list.

How about adding "I was stupid and broke it myself" to the poll. Luckily I was able to pop it back in after disassembling the dash. Don't you just love it when a simple task turns into a hour long project.

Last edited:
How about adding "I was stupid and broke it myself" to the poll. Luckily I was able to pop it back in after disassembling the dash. Don't you just love it when a simple task turns into a hour long project.
I did the same thing! Although I just got it click back into place and HVAC works normal now. Not sure if recirc is working properly...

Can someone post a picture of what broken part looks like, or is it pretty obvious, so I can check mine.

It is covered extensively in this forum section, including pictures and fixes. Search for broken recirc or recirculation flap.

This is the first I’ve heard of dash removal not being required to replace the box.

Also @stonepa do some digging.. pretty sure there has been a poll on this topic already. Not saying take yours down, but it’s more data.

One of the two dealers I’ve used to service mine broke it (I know which one it was, never going back)

it was an $1800 repair, and was in the shop for about a week due to parts availability. Thankfully the repair was completely covered by the Toyota Platinum extended warranty

Here is one of the many long threads on the topic of the cabin filter access flap breakage.

And here is the existing poll:

And YES, lack of training is exactly the issue!

They must have had enough complaints and finally added a directions sticky to my MY19 on the filter door. Mine is working just fine...thank goodness. But, I’ll still make sure to leave recirculating on anyways

They must have had enough complaints and finally added a directions sticky to my MY19 on the filter door. Mine is working just fine...thank goodness. But, I’ll still make sure to leave recirculating on anyways
I have the stickers too, but I wouldn't count on that saving you.

Your best bet is to lock the glove box, tell the service writer that you don't want them touching the cabin filter, and only leaving the remote, not the key or emergency key when you drop the rig off at the dealer.

I'm sure they think I'm a jerk, but it avoids the issue altogether.

I have the stickers too, but I wouldn't count on that saving you.

Your best bet is to lock the glove box, tell the service writer that you don't want them touching the cabin filter, and only leaving the remote, not the key or emergency key when you drop the rig off at the dealer.

I'm sure they think I'm a jerk, but it avoids the issue altogether.
I take it you just buy your own filter from some Toyota site?

I take it you just buy your own filter from some Toyota site?
Yes, from Olathe Toyota parts department online.

It is a 10 minute job, no tools required. Skill wise, if you can open your glove box, you can do this job yourself.

Best of all, you avoid the remote possibility of an $1800 repair and downtime while it is fixed.

I'm sure your local dealer will sell you a filter too too.

My local dealer parts department charges full retail and doesn't stock anything for the land cruiser, so I buy online and get parts more quickly for less money.

I repaired mine myself, and it was a pain in the neck. I hope to never have to do it again.

Mine is a '13, purchased used with around 50k on her. Prior to my buying the truck, somebody apparently replaced the cabin filter with the filter curtain in the outside-air position. After 20 minutes here, I got in the truck and gently but firmly pushed the curtain up and, thank you God, I heard a snap and the issue was fixed. I printed a do-not-fark-with-the-curtain label online here and attached it to the filter cover. I also lock the glove box and keep the key if the truck goes to my indy shop for any reason.

That fixed an issue with the heat/air con system where it couldn't remember previous setting on start-up and always set itself at 75F. Before I fixed it, I opened an issue with Toyota and had a phone call from a Toyota engineer working on the issue. He had no idea. I called him back once I got it working and explained how I did it. I got an email from him the next day with thanks, and a two months worth of TechStream at no cost.

It is covered extensively in this forum section, including pictures and fixes. Search for broken recirc or recirculation flap.

This is the first I’ve heard of dash removal not being required to replace the box.

Also @stonepa do some digging.. pretty sure there has been a poll on this topic already. Not saying take yours down, but it’s more data.
I saw the earlier poll but it didn't gather the type of data I am looking for. So I created another.

Follow up question - I understand Toyota recently issued a TSB related to cabin filter replacement and the exact procedure for the shop techs to follow. Any chance someone knows the TSB number? I have yet to find a list that is searchable and that provides details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom