Shooting a Mile

Spent last weekend in WY with a some friends. My buddy builds custom hunting rifles and long range shooting systems.

He's filming a "how-to" video and for kicks we set up a 2'x3' steel plate at 1,768 yards. We had 2 different rifles, both chambered for a wildcat very similar to a 7 STW. Using his data we were able to hit it fairly regularly from a bench w/sand bags. Doping the wind was the biggest problem.

With a 200 yard zero, the 168 grain Barns X required 60 MOA and the 168 grain Berger match style required only 45 MOA. In laymen's terms we were shooting 85' high and 64' high respectively. We were dialing the scope so you actually hold dead on.

We had a black balloon taped to the white plate so we could see hits. A hit anywhere on the plate would break the balloon. Plenty of time to get back in the scope and watch the impact at that range.

Fun stuff!

Wow, that's cool! I've always wanted to get into really long-range shooting like that, just seems cool. I almost bought a .50cal a few years ago, should have, cause now it'll be even harder to convince the wife I 'need' a .50 cal.. :D What's the specs on a 7 STW, IIRC that's quite a bit bigger than even a .50 cal right?

Cool! I'd love to see that video!

7 STW is a 7MM (.28 caliber I think). It's a fairly mainstream hunting caliber for western hunting. Not sure how fast it was going. It's a lot smaller than a .50 cal, and a lot cheaper to shoot!

The bullets don't have much poop left at that range. We found couple of the Barnes (solid copper) in the dirt that were barely deformed.

Ahhh...ok, yeah I was thinking it was something else. Wow, that is a LONG way to shoot a 'normal' rifle! Yeah I'm very familiar with the 7mm...me wants a sniper kit in .300 winmag..or a Barrett .50cal semi-auto.. :D

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
SILVER Star

Kinda scary that all the posts in this thread so far are all from CO. :D

edit: Missed the AZ one

I like this part....

Over four days of variable lighting and air movement but no real wind, the Erma with .338 LAPUA Magnum barrel routinely hit 9.25 inch (23.5 cm) paper plates at 1.500 yards (1,374 meters). If one discounts the first shot or two to dope out air movement at the beginning of each shooting session, none of the four shooters ever missed a paper plate at 1 ,500 yards (0.85 mile or 1.4 km). That's almost good enough to get a head shot at nearly a mile. Hits at 750 yards (686 m) were so easy that the shooters got bored. It is safe to say this is extraordinary performance.

I like the .338 Lapua.

I have a Sako 75 SS in .375 H&H Mag., and it would be hard to get permission from the better half to get a TRG 42.

But I love my Sako....

Steve

wtmtnterror said:
might get bashed for this.....for all you hunters out there. Not sure what caliber of gun they are using but seems to be working well for them.

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/7minPromo.wmv

Well, that's my buddy's show. Most of the big game is with the 7mm wildcat, and the coyotes are with a .22-243. He's a Cruiserhead.

I'm a traditional bowhunter myself, so 20 yards is more my range. They do stress that the longer range shots should not be attempted without the right equipment and a proven record of being able to consistently hit under hunting conditions. I've filmed for them and another buddy that lives down here (another Cruiserhead) is in a bunch of the shows. I've been along on enough hunts to see that it's no gimmick. Most of their stuff is actually taken at normal (sub 400yard) ranges, but they do a video series of the long range as well.

Top Bottom