Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So all I’ve done is add a leaf all the way around to my FJ62. Need new shocks. Do I need to get any different than the OEM?

Whatever you do, don't get longer shocks without extending the length of the bump stops too - otherwise a broken shock mount is only a pothole away.
The front suspension on a factory new 60 series only had about 1/2" down travel in the front before bottoming out on the big bump stops. Shocks really didn't do much of anything in the front on a brand new vehicle - it was riding on the bump stops all the time anyway.
The rears though had more travel, so functional shocks were important back there to prevent hobby horsing.

Whatever you do, don't get longer shocks without extending the length of the bump stops too - otherwise a broken shock mount is only a pothole away
Thanks I’m just lost as to what shocks to get. Looking at OMEmu 60062 and 60063 but not sure if that’s the right size. It’s what *ShockSurplus says fits

I installed OME Nitrocharger shocks all around and man the cruiser rode stiff. Not nice. Those shocks are designed for intense offroad use primarily.
I'd go with a standard Monroe street type shock. Nothing fancy and nothing hard.
When I was driving around for a few weeks with NO shocks, man the cruiser rode very smooth, but it would pogo when going over a bump and was dangerous on the freeway.
A standard shock is a good compromise between ride comfort (which is important) and control.

@OSS is right - leaf spring trucks have enough friction in the springs that you don't need a super-duper high performance shock. KYBs Gasadjusts are a good inexpensive choice that I have run for years on FJ40s and FJ60/62s. Your basic Monroe is fine, too. Rock Auto is your friend, price and choice-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom