Shocks ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
My Land cruiser has 175,000 miles and after a spur of the moment trip to Colorado on the way back my tires began cupping severely. I'm pretty sure the shocks on my Land cruiser are the original shocks from 1999 so I'm going to go ahead and replace them and check for any other warn suspension parts.

I have added weight to My Land cruiser and cranked the torsion bars up approximately 2 in and in the rear I have 30mm coil spacers. Currently My Land cruiser weighs around 6700 lb but once I add Rock sliders a rear bumper and possibly skid plates underneath I'm confident it will be around 7k ....

With that bit of information can anybody make some good recommendations on shock absorbers to handle the additional weight

I want good stuff that will be safe because this vehicle is the kid holler but I don't want to break the bank it's not an extreme toy. $400 or less preference

I want good stuff that will be safe because this vehicle is the kid holler but I don't want to break the bank it's not an extreme toy. $400 or less preference
Bump that up to $600 and you'll get in the range of good midgrade shocks. Factory replacements are cheap and will serve a DD well.

Maybe start by deciding what your build is or isn’t. I hope this doesn’t come across as rude but you say it isn’t an extreme build, then talk about sliders, bumpers, and skids on top of whatever heavy mods you have already added.

Your plans and description of build type don’t match and will impact what valving and springs you may choose.

Cranking the torsion bars changes your alignment. If you did not have that addressed that could be the issue with the cupping.

IronMan Foam Cell Pro shocks or Tough Dog Foam shocks are the best ride period unless you want to go all out with King's with remote reservoirs and spend more than the truck is worth.

50,000 miles on these GT Radial’s. Never been rotated.
I carry this plus more in my truck 24/7. Only take it out when on road trips.
KYB shocks are what I have. $60/ea on Amazon.
I also keep my truck in good alignment though.

8CED645F-A637-4043-A02B-10B92A320296.jpeg

65DC4CFD-4A33-4304-96D9-3426BBA5F2B7.jpeg

I went with Toyota shocks and am very happy with their ride. Did them in conjunction with the lift in my sig.

Maybe start by deciding what your build is or isn’t. I hope this doesn’t come across as rude but you say it isn’t an extreme build, then talk about sliders, bumpers, and skids on top of whatever heavy mods you have already added.

Your plans and description of build type don’t match and will impact what valving and springs you may choose.
Oh it's not rude at all
... My rig is an overlanding/kid hauler I want the armor (sliders and skid plates) because I don't want to have a big lift and will most likely drag the belly on stuff if I try some rocky stuff. I have the mind set it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I don't want to damage the truck trying to cross a small stream, fall in a hidden hole and bend a drive shaft kinda thing

One option that is commonly thrown around is just replacing the OEM shocks for new OEM shocks. I am not sure at what weight it makes sense to upgrade to something with different valving to support that, but hope someone else can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom