Shocks too short or too tall. Which one is worst? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't really know how much lift I got. Im guessing is about 2 inches of lift. I accomplished this by adding longer shackles and long AAL on al corners. Im looking to buy shocks to replace what look like original to the truck shocks. should i go with shocks designed for 1 to 2 inches of lift or 2 to 4 inches of lift. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

My thought would be to jack up the truck until the front tire hangs off the ground and then measure the maximum travel that the shock would have to travel. Then measure that against the extended lenght of the shock your lookin at. I also believe that a factory set cruiser should measure about 65 inches at the roof. Maybe its 68 inches. do a search as someone had that info on hear not to long ago.

Found a thread that say 69.5 inches is stock height for a cruiser.

Ive been to MO. Did basic training in Ft. Leonard Wood Misery. Coldest Ive ever been in my life.

69.5?! Im 70" (in the AM) and the cruiser is taller than me by more than a couple of inches, Ill have to measure when I get home. So what would you go with if uncertain? Longer or shorter shocks?
Thanks for the input.

I would measure the distance from the axle to the bumpstop, and find the longest shock you can run without having it bottom out. You dont want too long or too short, they both lead to bad things.

4 inches between front bumpstop and axle. Ive done a search and someone said that stock space is about an inch. so that puts me at about 3 inches. i think im goilg with 2-4 inch lift shocks. suggestions?

gracias

Well if you have 3" of lift, then that makes sense to me. :)

yours looks like mine an I have a 4 in lift so run the 3-4 in shocks

Wow 4 inches. I dont have the time or patience to do the flex test so im just going to calculate using space between bumstop and axle and that puts me at about 3. Im not planing on any more lift, maybe a 1 inch BL. Thanks all for input.

Just make sure that if your shock is 3 inches longer it wont bottom out when the axle is on the bumpstop, thats all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom