Shocks suggestions for FJ60 with 4" Alcan's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have not had any luck finding shocks that would fit my '60 with 4" Alcans. My top three choices would be Blisten, Edelbrock, or Rancho, but none of these manufactures list part numbers for this app. Any suggestions about these or other brands for my app. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Have you put the springs on yet? If not, just get 'em, put 'em on, take it somewhere's and flex it out. Measure the how long a shock you will need on the drooped side, and how short a shock you could fit on the stuffed side. Front and rear, and switch up the sides so you end up stuffing and drooping each tire at least once. Then look at the IH8MUD shock table and find one that will fit your lengths you need.

Hey Cal99 just curious what shocks did you ended up with putting on the same springs next weekend?
I was already planning on doing the measurement but was wondering what you came up with!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Burl

VA Crusier

I took measurements and bought heckthorn shocks from Man-a-fre meant for FJ60's with 5" of lift. The Man-a-fre site also has the extended and compressed measurements to look at and double check your actual numbers. These seem to work good in the front (will need to lower the bump stop about 2"), but in back, the up travel is limited to about 5" I havent flexed it to the limit yet, but I figure I may need a bit more. This can be done by moving the top shock mounts closer together (similar for SOA).

I put 4" Alcans on my 60 back in April. To solve your shock issue call Randy at A.O.R. and have a few messurements ready to give. 970 263 4300
full drop
full compression
static distance from eye to eye
He'll fit you up with some nice Bilsteins.
And while your at it mention using rancho shocks and you'll find out how wrong a choice that would be. Also Alcan does not like rancho on their springs!
Also on the front there is no stock configuered shock that will work. So you'll have two choices on how to make the front shock mounts eye to eye like in the back.

Bilstein part #

FRT- be56216h5
R - be56583h5

good luck
devo

Thanks Cal99 and devo I'll try to rememeber to post what I end up using hope to get the springs on this weekend !!!!!

Burl

Rancho Shocks

I'm surprized to hear the negative talk about Ranchos - had the 9000s on my 60 for about 30K miles and once getting the adjustments to where I wanted have been happy.

I have part numbers for the RS9000s to be used with a 4 inch Alcan lift if anyone wants them...

I'm interested to know the part numbers

Burl

Devo- am I reading your post right that there is no aftermartket shock that will match up without some slight modification?

I want to change out the rusted old shocks that are on my 60 very soon. It's got about 5-6 inches of lift (done by PO)

I've had good luck with Bilstein, so I might go that way.

Has anyone used Bilstein BF5-A195-H1 on an 87 FJ60 with an OME lift?

I used the longest 9000's (9012's?) on the rear with but a little mount movement. I also used the longest PIN-TYPE 9000's on the front. No problems ever.
And yes, that's with 4" alcans.

goo dgrief way to bring one back from the bead, the guy i bought my springs from started this thread september '03!! I plan on going with the Doetsch-Tech top model from summit. I checked that seams to be the best bet. I was told to measure b/f buying thouhg, so i have to wait and get my lift on 1st. yeah i am a slacker had the springs and shackles for 3 or 4 months. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom