Shocks... 2.5" Emulsion or 2" Resi's??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Darasick

The Polish Coonass
SILVER Star
Threads
The time has come to replace the Doestch Tech shocks. They have less than 10k on them and the average person would get seasick while riding with me on the trail, not to mention the instability on high speed interstate curves.

I had my mind made up on the 2.5" emulsion shocks from Radflo for a 3-5" lift, but after a call to them yesterday with regards to compressed and extended lengths (same as the L shocks by the way), the guy I talked to has got me thinking about going remote resivoir. His point was soley around ride quality and how it's improved through the floating piston in the remote Resi's.

Now my initial decision was based on a price limit that I had to talk myself up to. I can talk myself up to the 2.0 remotes, but won't be able to swing the 2.5 remotes. So I'm looking for opinions from people who have shock experience and here's the question...

If you had to choose between 2.5" emulsion or 2" remote reservoirs which would it be?

Truck specs- fully armored, front and rear winches soon, prob spends 60% of the time on the street and 40% on the trails, camping, hunting, etc., averaging 4k miles/year.

The time has come to replace the Doestch Tech shocks. They have less than 10k on them and the average person would get seasick while riding with me on the trail, not to mention the instability on high speed interstate curves.

I had my mind made up on the 2.5" emulsion shocks from Radflo for a 3-5" lift, but after a call to them yesterday with regards to compressed and extended lengths (same as the L shocks by the way), the guy I talked to has got me thinking about going remote resivoir. His point was soley around ride quality and how it's improved through the floating piston in the remote Resi's.

Now my initial decision was based on a price limit that I had to talk myself up to. I can talk myself up to the 2.0 remotes, but won't be able to swing the 2.5 remotes. So I'm looking for opinions from people who have shock experience and here's the question...

If you had to choose between 2.5" emulsion or 2" remote reservoirs which would it be?

Truck specs- fully armored, front and rear winches soon, prob spends 60% of the time on the street and 40% on the trails, camping, hunting, etc., averaging 4k miles/year.

I am pretty dissapointed with my doetsch tech's as well - not so much from a product quality point of view, but just w/ respect to how inadequate they are for the 80 series.

Not to hijack your thread, of course ;)

What about Fox 2.0 IFP? There was a thread recently that pretty much dialed in the valving for different levels of truck setup and driving styles.

I am no expert, but I understand the IFP are superior to emulsion.

The biggest thing that I don't like about the remote resi's is having to mount the resi somewhere. I've got a decent system but its not factory quality. I don't really think you can make a bad decision between the two options you've stated. There's pros and cons to each but still nice shocks either way :D

What Doestch Tech shocks are you guys running?

8385/8386. Should have gone with longer travel shocks, too, since after linking it I have limited droop.

They were semi-adequate in conjunction with the binding offered by the radius arms but they really are too soft for me, now. I guess I'm just used to a slightly firmer shock.

I'm running the PreRunner 8000 series. I don't remember the part numbers but they were 17.50" compressed and 29.5" extended. They are more shock trampolines than shock absorbers.

2.5" with reservoirs Radflo's was chosen for mine, but if picking, go 2.5" Radflo emulsions.

Of opting for resis, I can tell you how not to order it.

Haha, and it took you a year to figure out what you thought you wanted

Yeah I'm running the same ones. They worked great in the beginning but now they are not so great. I like the travel but they don't support the weight very well.

Does anybody make a properly sized and valved shock for a lifted 80 with the typical front/rear bumpers, winch, roof rack and maybe a RTT?

I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out what to do. I'd like to put a 3-4" lift on, but the shocks (as usual) seem to just be more or less an afterthought for something that sorta 'fits'.

Discouraging. :crybaby:

but the shocks (as usual) seem to just be more or less an afterthought for something that sorta 'fits'.

Exactly, and even then, there's compromises, which I don't understand.

Radflo is your answer.

Order what you need, without modifying mounts, pins, or sacrificing travel.

May have to do a little work to properly spec your travel dimensions, if the shock is keeping the coil in the bucket, but well worth the effort.

Exactly, and even then, there's compromises, which I don't understand.

Radflo is your answer.

Order what you need, without modifying mounts, pins, or sacrificing travel.

May have to do a little work to properly spec your travel dimensions, if the shock is keeping the coil in the bucket, but well worth the effort.

That's the hard part! Seems like you need to be a damn suspension expert and mathematician just to place an order for a set of quality shocks.

The biggest thing that I don't like about the remote resi's is having to mount the resi somewhere. I've got a decent system but its not factory quality. I don't really think you can make a bad decision between the two options you've stated. There's pros and cons to each but still nice shocks either way :D

The Bilstein 5165's have the reservoir attached to the main body, and you can get them with a wide variety of damping options. IMO, I don't see a need to go to a 2.5 shock or even a reservoir for how most of these rigs are being used. All that being said, I've got Bilstein 9100's coilover reservoirs in the front of mine and the ride is awesome. I may go to a bit more compression damping just to help with the loss of my anti-roll bar.

Currently I've got OME nitros in the back and they work well, but I will likely go to 5165's eventually.

I had Doetsch shocks on an old Bronco, and they're nothing to write home about, just another generic white can shock AFIC.

Buy two at a time if you're on a budget.

Fwiw, fox 2.0 remote reservoir 10" travel are cheap as borsch and work okay.

That's the hard part! Seems like you need to be a **** suspension expert and mathematician just to place an order for a set of quality shocks.

A good vendor can help with this. Poly Performance in San Luis Obispo has a good staff that can help.

Buy two at a time if you're on a budget.

Fwiw, fox 2.0 remote reservoir 10" travel are cheap as borsch and work okay.

If 2.5'a are worth it, i like this idea!

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that Fox, SAW, Radflow, and most of the other quality shock mfgs use a rod-end mounting, whereas Bilstein uses a standard rubber bushing/sleeve on the 5165's and even the 7100's. A rod-end mounting is stronger, but it transmits more noise and vibration to the chassis, which is something I don't want in a street vehicle.

My rockcrawler buggy had Fox 2.0 RR's all the way around and after tuning by Alltech Motorsports it handled great at speed, and still did great in the rocks. Wayne is a big fan of running the softest spring rate that is practical for the intended load/ride height, and then using a lot of compression damping to control movement. If you're desert racing and seeing 20+" of axle travel, then you need to get into 2.5's (+ bypass shocks), or even bigger to control the heat created by all that movement, but for our uses a quality 2.0 is more than adequate.

Note the FJ grill! :D

692541d1346092915-koh-time-again-2912064630043391076rbknpp_fs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom