Shocking Shock Install Quotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Local Shock & Tire Place- $15 each shock, Labor Only

Toyota- $600.00 Total, Labor Only

:eek:

I was going to do it myself...but $15 each??? :hmm:

Get that in writing or get your truck down there NOW! Hopefully the mechanic is competent though ;). The rear PS can be a TPITA. The DS rear isn't a walk in the park either.

Hopefully the mechanic is competent though ;).

That is what I'm wary of. I'd hate to get the "Well, what does he expect for $15" job. I'll probably do it myself anyway. My jaw did drop at the Toyota price though...I had to ask twice if that included the shocks.

Well, I went by their shop at lunch and explained exactly what I wanted. I told them that it is considered a difficult job. They climbed under the truck and got a good look at everything, and admitted it wouldn't be that easy. So, they gave me a new quote. $15 for the fronts and $25.00 for the rears. $80.00 Total. I left the truck with them. Fingers crossed.

My shocks. I went with a set of Toyota OEM for $116.00. I figure if they get them half way on there for $80, I can take it from there! :D

Toyota OEM! You could get Bilsteins for $67.95 each shipped.

It's basically the same as a 3rd gen 4Runner - rears are a bitch, but the fronts are easier because you don't have coilovers.

$600 is stupid. $15 for fronts is cake for them. Total time to swap the fronts will be 20-minutes tops. Rears shouldn't take more than 1-1.5 hours if they have trouble. $80 for at most 2hrs labor is cheap, but it's not absurdly cheap. I would expect that a Toyota or Lexus dealer *should* charge about $150-$200 for the job considering a shop labor rate of $90-$100/hr.

Toyota OEM! You could get Bilsteins for $67.95 each shipped.

I know, it was a tough choice...but the OEM ride great, have slightly more travel, and are only $29 each to my door. I NEEDED shocks NOW, and these will be fine until I lift the truck. I just wish Bilstein had a longer travel shock for the lift. BTW, the new shocks are on the truck now, and they did a great job for 80 bucks. :)

Congrats, I would probably gladly pay $80 other that crawl under the car myself.

Local Shock & Tire Place- $15 each shock, Labor Only

Toyota- $600.00 Total, Labor Only

:eek:

I was going to do it myself...but $15 each??? :hmm:

It's true! Haha. I went to a reputable off road shop and they qouted me $750 with an alignment. A local tire shop qouted and completed the job for well under $300 below the off road shop...not only that they qouted $20 a shock. I couldn't beleive it. I was going to do the lift myself but I couldn't pass up the deal here. I was impressed with their work.

On a similar note, how many miles did you have on the original shocks? I am getting close to 120k, but the ride is still excellent. I did adjust my T-bars a week ago (boy, did that make a nice difference). Just wondering if I need to start thinking about it, or if I have another 30K or so before it really becomes an issue.

Thanks,

Jonathan

IMHO... nothing beats the Bilsteins!!! They completely tranformed the feel and handling of my LC... and once I figured out that I might as well destroy the factory rears taking them out... the rears werent that bad at all.... the trick was a 7/8 ratcheting wrench...

Ditto, my factory shocks were still in good shape at 117k miles. However the Bilsteins ride SO much better then factory. I would switch sooner then later. I got a full set of four shipped for $271, not bad.

X2 on the Bilsteins. However, most people don't realize how much their OEM shocks have declined in performance until they replace them, even though there is no appearance of failure (ie leaking fluid), the fluid has broken down along with the valving. I have shipped several sets of OEM 100 series shocks in the past two weeks, many of my customers have written me back to tell me how much better the ride is now that they have new (OEM) shocks installed. Unless you have a late model 100 with less than 35K miles, it's hard to make an apples to apples comparision. JM $.02

Use the Hole-saw method and the rear shocks are a :banana::banana: project.

My OEMs looked good at 150k but when changed out the truck rides much better.

That's an interesting thought. I have a 1999 LC with 196k miles. Not sure when the shocks were last replaced as I'm the second owner. The LC was extremed well taken care of though by PO and now me. The shocks do squeek when I go over speed bumps but the ride seems okay. What would you recomend as far as the model Bilsteins? I'm not looking for anything different from what you would consider the original OEM ride. And can you PM about how to buy them from you? Andrew in LA

X2 on the Bilsteins. However, most people don't realize how much their OEM shocks have declined in performance until they replace them, even though there is no appearance of failure (ie leaking fluid), the fluid has broken down along with the valving. I have shipped several sets of OEM 100 series shocks in the past two weeks, many of my customers have written me back to tell me how much better the ride is now that they have new (OEM) shocks installed. Unless you have a late model 100 with less than 35K miles, it's hard to make an apples to apples comparision. JM $.02

FWIW:

I had 125 on my OEM shocks, I put OME866's (@105K) and a ARB upfront (@115K) and they still felt fine. I replaced them with Bilstein's because I blew 2 and seized one on a trip. Other wise I'm pretty sure they would still be underneath my 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom