Shock upgrade / replacement advice for 1992 HDJ81. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, all!

I have a 1992 HDJ81, and the shocks are shot. It's got some sort of lift (Appx. 3") that was done in Japan before the truck came over, with rancho shocks that are now garbage.
I'm happy with the lift height, and don't have any issues with the springs (that I'm aware of) so I'd like to just replace the shocks. I could always do springs later.

The primary question is: are shocks interchangeable from say a 1992 US market FJ80 to my 1992 HDJ81? Obviously, finding some of the more unique bits can be challenging, so FJ80 stuff is easier to source in the US.

I love Bilstein's (having run them on lots of other cars) so I was looking at the B8 (5100) shocks, from like summit racing. They are cheap, I'd expect they are good, and they are compatible with a appx 2-2.5" lift. For now, the car is just my DD, and I haven't wheeled it yet, so that's not my top concern.

I'm looking at these, specifically:
FRONT
REAR

Additional questions:
Is there any reason not to buy these at $100 / corner?
Is there something else I should look at?
Also, it looks like they come with the mounts / hardware. Anything else I should source before beginning the job?

EDIT: Other than hosing down all the fasteners with PB'laster for a day or two before starting, any other tips?

Cheers!

Bueller, anyone, Bueller?

I exhausted my search-fu, but could not find:
Can anyone confirm that FJ80 shocks will work fine on an HDJ81?

Thanks!

If they are like the ones on the left, nope. If they are like the ones on the right, likely. Every HDJ I’ve had in the shop has electrically dampened shocks. There is a switch on the dash that controls the settings.

1A774401-E54F-447F-B830-FFF28C9D3876.jpeg

If they are like the ones on the left, nope. If they are like the ones on the right, likely. Every HDJ I’ve had in the shop has electrically dampened shocks. There is a switch on the dash that controls the settings.

Thanks for the reply!

It originally had the electric shocks (or at least has the switch on the dash), but they were removed with the lift. Now it has Rancho 9000 - something's with no electric connection, so regular shocks should be fine.

Thank you!

I couldn’t tell you the difference and maybe the all supercede to each other.

6C5920F7-5BA5-4DB5-9352-8B5AA30B75E3.jpeg

Thanks!

And now I'm clear: I have no electronic shocks, so any ol shock will fit. Off to buy Bilsteins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom