Shock Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then just go with OEM Toyota shocks. I see zero reason to go with anything else if your goal is for comfort with a very mild lift. OEM are inexpensive, proven and reliable. Not sure why you'd even need new torsion bars. Seems an unnecessary expense if you're not lifting and not adding a ton of weight to the rig. Same goes for the coils. Heck, if you wanted just a "tad" of lift, get the 30mm coil spacers and crank the torsion bars 2x. That would net you a 1" lift with minimal cost, hassle or change to the overall performance/ride comfort of your existing system. Could do 4 new OEM shocks and coil spacers for around $225.
Im pretty sure i need new TBs regardless because of my LX bars

Im pretty sure i need new TBs regardless because of my LX bars

If you're pulling the AHC suspension, you will ABSOLUTELY need new torsion bars as the AHC torsion bars were engineered to handle roughly 60% of the GVW (40% handled by the AHC hydraulics). For reference sake, here are the diameters of the various TBs out there. Larger diameter means greater load capacity:

AHC = 26mm
OEM = 28mm
OME = 30mm
ToughDog, SwayAway, IronMan = 32mm

OEM torsion bars are the most expensive of all the options unless you can source some locally off someone who recently upgraded. OME might be your best bet as they are relatively inexpensive and aren't as "stout" as the last 3.

The way lift springs work are a bit misleading. Most of the time they're not really taller than the stock springs, it's just that they are heavier, so when the weight of the car sits on it they don't compress as much. This is great if the ultimate goal is height, but it gives a harsh ride compared to the softer springs, as these will compress less when going over bumps/imperfections. If the truck is not heavy enough they could also limit the articulation a lot (because they can't compress anymore, even though there would be travel left in them). So if you don't have a really heavy truck, I'd strongly advise against lift springs / torsion bars. Instead if you want some added height, go with stock non-ahc torsion bars and stock non-ahc tallest springs with spacers and stock shocks, maybe IM FCP or ToughDog adjustable, if you want to get really fancy. That's the best of both worlds (so you get some height, but your ride quality won't suffer a ton). I've learned over the years that unless you're carrying 6-700lbs+ of extra weight (heavy bumpers, roof rack, rock sliders, trunk packed with stuff all the time, etc..etc..), then going with lift springs (which should really be called extra heavy springs instead) are a big no-no.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom