Shock Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm looking to put new shocks on both front and rear. I have stock everything right now and current tires are 285/75/16. I am not a crawler by any means. This is my DD and occasionally we will be going off pavement on easy trails to find some camping spots with the kids.

What are the considerations I need to be aware of if I buy (Like should I raise/lower/modify any other components?)
1. the OME 1.5in shocks
2. The OME 2.5in shocks
3. Keep original height and just save money and go with Toyota replacements
4. Any other shock options that are better suited for my needs that I probably don't really need the OME?

Thanks for the help everyone!

I went with the kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Toyota shocks with OME springs and torsion bars. Couldn’t be happier with it.
This. Toyota shocks are great paired with OME springs and TBs. Also worth repeating that OME springs are *not* longer than OEM Toyota springs (except the 863J, which are longer), so stock Toyota shock length works just fine. These ain’t really “lift” kits...

For the '99 UZJ100 I use for southwest U.S. desert exploring I run Bilstein shocks valved for the stock 100 Series springs. With "E" rated tires at 30 PSI the rig rides really well on wash board roads.

Thanks. Do I need to do the springs and TBs with the shocks?
Nope. Can do them whenever. A little easier to do rear shocks and coils at the same time, but not significantly easier. If money is an issue, I’d do the shocks now (Toyota shocks are cheap - like $40/shock) and then save up for coils and TBs to do later. Lightly used Coils occasionally pop up in the classifieds section for cheap too. New shocks will immediately improve your ride.

Nope. Can do them whenever. A little easier to do rear shocks and coils at the same time, but not significantly easier. If money is an issue, I’d do the shocks now (Toyota shocks are cheap - like $40/shock) and then save up for coils and TBs to do later. Lightly used Coils occasionally pop up in the classifieds section for cheap too.
Awesome. Thanks. Going to go with the Toyota shocks

Also if you don’t want the spend commitment on the ome torsions these are only 200$ and change. A set of these with some ome rear springs and factory shocks and you’ll have some much better handling on and off road. That’s like under $600 for a decent upgrade

Also if you don’t want the spend commitment on the ome torsions these are only 200$ and change. A set of these with some ome rear springs and factory shocks and you’ll have some much better handling on and off road. That’s like under $600 for a decent upgrade

Which torsions? The Toyota ones?

Thanks for the link. Im gonna save those and upgrade them in a month or so. Going to do the shocks this week or when they get delivered and then the TB and maybe springs.

I've had the rig since January and been doing some maintenance to get it ready to safely take the family to New Mexico this June for some camping and trail exploration. This will be my last thing to do for the peace of mind to make the trip and then we will see about upgrading the bumpers, etc.

I appreciate all the help and recommendations.

Toyota shocks all around and if you tend to throw some weight in the rear, go with some OME medium duty springs. No reason to go overboard for the application you described.

Toyota OEM shocks all around if you have no plans for any real off-roading. Can't be beat for the price IMO. If you want to do some mild off-roading from time to time with a little bit of lift, I think the IronMan Nitro setup for $799 is dang hard to beat. You get brand new torsion bars and coils along with the 4 shocks for a heck of a deal.

@bobcatag2006 if you're planning on putting in new torsion bars anyway, why not consider the IronMan Nitrogas kit with 4 shocks, torsion bars (same diameter of 32mm as the Sway Away) and coils? The entire kit is like $799 shipped. I've been in quite a few OME equipped rigs and several equipped with the IronMan Nitro and the IronMan are a superior ride IMO.

@bobcatag2006 if you're planning on putting in new torsion bars anyway, why not consider the IronMan Nitrogas kit with 4 shocks, torsion bars (same diameter of 32mm as the Sway Away) and coils? The entire kit is like $799 shipped. I've been in quite a few OME equipped rigs and several equipped with the IronMan Nitro and the IronMan are a superior ride IMO.
Thats a good deal as well I just dont really want 2 inches of extra lift.

I do mild offroading (HIH and local AZ trails, no serious rockcrawling) and I've been happy with just replacing OEM shocks on both 100 series cruisers I've owned. I have OME 866s in the rear, since I have a RTT, fridge, etc, plus 30mm spacers. I didn't replace torsion bars, just adjusted for some extra height in the front while maintaining rake. Super happy with my setup and inexpensive. I can easily swap shocks and torsion bars down the road, if I want.

When you do the rear shocks, keep all the washers. Those are the expensive part. Almost cost more than the shocks themselves. If you replace torsion bars, make sure you get the lower control arm brackets (OME FK27) for cheap insurance. It's an easy install while torsion bars are out.

Thats a good deal as well I just dont really want 2 inches of extra lift.

Then just go with OEM Toyota shocks. I see zero reason to go with anything else if your goal is for comfort with a very mild lift. OEM are inexpensive, proven and reliable. Not sure why you'd even need new torsion bars. Seems an unnecessary expense if you're not lifting and not adding a ton of weight to the rig. Same goes for the coils. Heck, if you wanted just a "tad" of lift, get the 30mm coil spacers and crank the torsion bars 2x. That would net you a 1" lift with minimal cost, hassle or change to the overall performance/ride comfort of your existing system. Could do 4 new OEM shocks and coil spacers for around $225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom