Shock Stud Sizes??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why are some Fj60's shock studs 16mm and some are 19mm?
Went to put my Bilstein's on and I have 19mm bushings with these shocks and only
have 16mm shock studs on my 86 Fj60.
You would think Bilstein would have the right size bushings. Bilsetin rep didn't even ask
me what my shock stud size was. Only reason I chose Bilstein's was cause i got a really
good price on them thru my work.

A standard shock bushing is typically 5/8 which is roughly 16mm. Shocks often come with metal sleeves to reduce the 5/8 to 1/2 as 1/2 inch is another fairly standard mount.

I was just messing with my FJ60 shocks yesterday and the upper rear mounts are 5/8 and fit the billsteins perfectly. If for some reason yours are 19mm, either look for new bushings or just drill yours out.

You can also get shock bushings with a 3/4 inch hole-which for all intents and purposes is 19mm.

Energy Suspension 9.8108G - Shock Bushing Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts

A standard shock bushing is typically 5/8 which is roughly 16mm. Shocks often come with metal sleeves to reduce the 5/8 to 1/2 as 1/2 inch is another fairly standard mount.

I was just messing with my FJ60 shocks yesterday and the upper rear mounts are 5/8 and fit the billsteins perfectly. If for some reason yours are 19mm, either look for new bushings or just drill yours out.

You can also get shock bushings with a 3/4 inch hole-which for all intents and purposes is 19mm.

Energy Suspension 9.8108G - Shock Bushing Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts

My Shock Studs are 16mm. The bushings that came with my Bilsteins are 19mm. So there is play there when i stick
them on my shock studs. I need a smaller bushing or a metal sleeve that is 16mm ID and 19mm OD.

Drew, If you are telling me that you upper shock stud is 5/8 then it is 16mm. That is the size of
my 60's shock studs. SO what Bilstein part number did you use. Need front and rear part #'s please.
Thanks John

SO if my shock studs are 16mm in the rear top and bottom, then my front shock studs should be
16mm also. Right??

Drew, If you are telling me that you upper shock stud is 5/8 then it is 16mm. That is the size of
my 60's shock studs. SO what Bilstein part number did you use. Need front and rear part #'s please.
Thanks John

OK-I misunderstood. I used the regular Bilstein 5100s and the bushings they came with were 5/8 and thus fit. I welded up new shock mounts yesterday and the mount is a 1/2 inch bolt, so I had to get a metal sleeve at the Hardware store to take up the slack. There are likely 3/4 to5/8 sleeves available-you could just find some of those.

The front is 5/8 on the bottom-it mounts to the spring plate, and the top is a stud mount, so entirely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom