Shock mount broke. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the previous owner switched the front axle to a FJ60 with power steering. In doing so, it looks like the front driver-side shock mount was cut away and a steel pipe welded in it's place. Today, thanks to DC area highways having what feels like speed bumps in the middle of the highways; the shock mount broke. Has anyone else done this swap? Did you have to remove the shock mount? If so, what did you use to replace the original?

Busted shock.jpg

I know some use Ford shock mounts for the front, not sure which part #. I do have a pair you are welcome to, but shipping may be more than you can acquire them for locally.

So the previous owner switched the front axle to a FJ60 with power steering. In doing so, it looks like the front driver-side shock mount was cut away and a steel pipe welded in it's place. Today, thanks to DC area highways having what feels like speed bumps in the middle of the highways; the shock mount broke. Has anyone else done this swap? Did you have to remove the shock mount? If so, what did you use to replace the original?

View attachment 2998592
There are many ways to fix this, depends on your budget and skillset. Some better photos from the right side of the photo you posted would help. The cheapest option is to likely replace those pipes with ford F-250 shock towers. I'm sure there are tons of threads here with photos and details, even likely some threads with these towers and the FJ60 power steering box. Do some research and you'll find others that have solved this same problem.

here is a thread that came up in google search:

Here is an option for buying the towers:

Brake lines look like they could use some attention as well. Some funky hose stacking and pretty poor routing, that second hose looks to be rubbing on the spring?

Brake lines look like they could use some attention as well. Some funky hose stacking and pretty poor routing, that second hose looks to be rubbing on the spring?
Yeah, lot's of things need attention and/or could be done better. Been thinking about going back to spring under axle as well. And I'll snap more pictures tomorrow after I get off work.

My thought is if you have to ask for a solution best to just ask where the place to have this repaired and check out the vehicle for other non professional mods. Having home made shock tower snap off on the highway could have caused an accident. I don't drive a FJ40 in modern traffic stock. I know AZ does not require any safety inspections and it shows. Seen trucks lifted using 2X4 for spacers. I feel a lot safer in traffic with my 2nd gen Sequoia than a FJ40.

Amazon product ASIN B01ID3WEGI
I bought these Dorman "Ford" shock towers and they worked out well. I've read that Ford has discontinued making them.

Problem with tall shock towers is you have a hot riveted FJ40/45 frame that is extremely flexible, moves a lot, soooo movement is magnified as it crawls up the shock tower, thus the tower wants to rip off the frame (i.e. as witnessed above). When Downey sold the taller Ford shock towers, we also sold a rear/back side 'weld-on" gusset to create a T beam arrangement onto the top of the frame to support the vertical welds down the vertical sides of the Ford tower.

Problem with tall shock towers is you have a hot riveted FJ40/45 frame that is extremely flexible, moves a lot, soooo movement is magnified as it crawls up the shock tower, thus the tower wants to rip off the frame (i.e. as witnessed above). When Downey sold the taller Ford shock towers, we also sold a rear/back side 'weld-on" gusset to create a T beam arrangement onto the top of the frame to support the vertical welds down the vertical sides of the Ford tower.

Any chance you can round up a picture of that Jim? I can understand that they could benefit from extra bracing.

unfortunately the only way I have all Downey pictures saved is on an old floppy disc that lets me print them about the sizes of a pencil erasser

The only load on a shock tower is from the shock, which isn’t that much if the dampening function is still viable. If hard wheeling and the shock is bottoming out and there’s still room for the axle to travel before hitting the bump stops then it’s the wrong shock/bump stop setup. Fatigue and/or corrosion could be a long term issue for crappy PO mods 🤷‍♂️.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom