Shock length? (eye hole to eye hole) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been able to cross quite a few things off my to-do list this summer. Next up is shock replacement ... but I took a front shock and a rear shock into a well known national store that sells Rancho suspension parts, and the salesman and I had a hard time finding a match.

The shock mounts on the front of my FJ (1978) are about 16" apart; the rears are about 21" apart. Can someone take some measurements and let me know if those numbers are the stock length?

Thank you.

Just for clarification purposes, I measured the distance while the shocks were on the vehicle. It took less than a minute to measure the front and the rear.

I'm just trying to figure out if the shock lengths are stock, or if they are longer because a lift kit may have been installed. Once I figure out which shocks to buy--either stock length of "lifted"--I plan to support one of the advertisers on this site. (I'm not stuck on getting only Ranchos.)

Take your shocks off then drive one wheel onto something that will stuff your wheel up into the wheel well. Then measure how short your shock needs to be able to compress to. Go around to the other side and measure how long the shock needs to extend to. Do the same for the rear. Take those numbers to the tech link at the top of the page, and find the shock chart. Choose what will work best for you. Use the search it has been discussed many times. Any other way is just guessing. Good luck

Actually if the rig has not been lifted, then any parts store worth using should have alisting of shocks for it.

In the case of an unlifted '40, the Rancho number (for the Rancho 5000 series) is 5113 and 5158 (I forget right now which is for the front and which is for the rear). You parts store guy should be able to cross that to any other manufactuer.

Mark...

since we all know the "the friend with a forklift" is pretty damn rare, easier to do what I did and call Rancho support direct as they will talk you through finding what number shock you need and what measurements to take if you are not sure. 734.384.7804 I called them in Jan when I did mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom